Repower

Nail-it

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Doing repower over winter with Suzuki df250 mechanical,on 03 marlin 300.anyone have this setup.if so looking for cruise,top speed and gph at cruise.was going with Honda’s but got better deal with Suzuki.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Not exactly an apples to apples comparison but it should get you in the ballpark, though your boat is obviously a bit lighter and you should get better numbers than this one. Also, you could always call or email Grady White themselves and see if they have the performance data sheet for your vintage of 300 Marlin with twin 250's on it. Lastly, I'd also consider the Suzuki DF250AP as it has the optional digital throttle controls as opposed to mechanical. For I'm assuming a negligible price difference and with you going through a repower already, might as well get the digital or electronic throttle controls as opposed to the mechanical. Just my opinions of course. Good luck!

Last edited:

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
I had a lot of Suzukis and Yamaha's.
Should I repower I would go again with Suzuki/s,
should I buy a boat with good working Yamaha/s I would leave them or sell them and get Suzuki/s.
There is no real considerable difference between both, and my buddy here in town is Yamaha and Suzuki tech.
I would choose Suzuki 250-300 hp again because:
  • they are more silent up to 4000 rpm
  • the bigger propeller has more grip and I consider it better for heavy boats
  • i know the DF250-300 inside out, and put about combined 5000 flawless hours on 3 of them
  • I know the 200-250 V6 inside out and put 3600 flawless hours on it
  • i had some problems with the older Yamahas I had, but not with the actual F250
  • no problems at all, a few gauges hiccups on the twin 2017 ones, the 2013 zero problems
  • digital control is flawless and nice to have, especially with twins
  • I can get a better price for Suzuki than Yamaha
However, as I mentioned I have a tech for both brands nearby and he is my buddy and former employer.
The most important thing to consider is the distance of a well trained dealership.
Thats more important that small details between brands, there are no bad outboards, just some brands are a bit more troublesome than other brands (but not the ones I mentioned), and then a nearby dealership comes handy.

Chris