Repowering 1990 232

exudedude

Reaction score
My single 250 yam blew yesterday. I am probably going with etec. I was just wondering a couple of things.

With the dropped transom what would be the least hp I could install a pair of 115 ho's or 130's? Not looking for speed, just economy and good cruise.
Also would I have to get rid of my swim platform?

If I enclosed the transom and installed a bracket anyone have a rough cost?

If the upper 2 scenarios are not in the cards we are gonna do a HO250 or a 300 .

Thanks for the help......

gw204

Reaction score
exudedude said:
My single 250 yam blew yesterday. I am probably going with etec. I was just wondering a couple of things.

With the dropped transom what would be the least hp I could install a pair of 115 ho's or 130's? Not looking for speed, just economy and good cruise.
Also would I have to get rid of my swim platform?

If I enclosed the transom and installed a bracket anyone have a rough cost?

If the upper 2 scenarios are not in the cards we are gonna do a HO250 or a 300 .

Thanks for the help......

I don't think I would do any less than twin 130s. I think those would provide performance slightly lower than a healthy 250 due to the excess drag caused by the second lower unit.

Cost of enclosing the transom and adding a bracket can vary greatly. Would you plan on doing it yourself or having it done? If the latter, and you choose a Hermco fiberglass bracket, you'll probably be looking at a minimum of $7500 (rough guess)...probably more. Other brackets would cost less....

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It will have to be filled in and reinforced...

Have you priced a new powerhead...it appears a new 250 E-Tec is $16K...you probably can rebuild your Yami for 1/2 that....

exudedude

Reaction score
Parthery said:
It will have to be filled in and reinforced...

Have you priced a new powerhead...it appears a new 250 E-Tec is $16K...you probably can rebuild your Yami for 1/2 that....

There is no way I am putting 8k in a 1990 motor that had probably 2300+ hrs she has seen her day. That is what I paid for the whole boat last year. I have no issue putting GOOD money into her just wanna figure out what I want my end product to be.

The closed trans seems great but then again with the grouper digging I do it also sorta seems nice to make the drop door a solid panel that is removable when my son is not aboard then you could step out on the bracket.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
With 2300+ hours you have gotten your money's worth...

I'm not sure you could put a door in the middle where the drop used to be...in order to bolt the bracket to the transom, reinforcement bracing will need to be placed inside the transom to hold the weight of the bracket and the OB, as well as the associated forces that it will inflict on the boat...maybe you can?

richie rich

Reaction score
Parthery, your first impression is correct, to swtch from a notched transom to a full one and bracket will require knee braces tied to the stringers/hull and maybe another layer of wood in the transom for extra stiffness.......check out Vero Wings tutorial on transom replacement, you'll get the idea of what needs to be done.

gw204

Reaction score
BobP said:
Brian GW204, let's get that Mako cranked up !

I'm workin' on it. Been spending some quality time w/ the grinder lately.

IMG_8342.jpg

IMG_8343.jpg

IMG_8344.jpg

I have a huge order from U.S. Composites coming in on Tuesday. Hope to start glassing the new transom next weekend. :)

gw204

Reaction score
exudedude,

Talk to Hermco. He has your solution in the form of a bracket w/ integrated transom closing panel.

With that in mind, there's no way I would just bolt a bracket onto a 20 year old cut out transom...

exudedude

Reaction score
Parthery said:
With 2300+ hours you have gotten your money's worth...

?

well the original owner did.. I've only had the boat a year. I was just weighing my options here. I got the boat for a song (8k), if I repower I will also swap out the old fuel tanks also. I was really wanting twins and close in the transom. While that was going on I might as well rewire the boat at the same time. That's gonna get pricey, I'm not sure I wanna do that with this boat or not. Thinkin maybe just get my engine fixed, sell her and put that money into somethin newer.

Thanks for the replies..except for the mako hijack :roll: