Repowering 1998 Sailfish 272

Horesplay

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Strongly considering repowering my '98 Sailfish 272. Any members out there with a similar boat who have repowered recently? I'm considering Suzuki and Mercury (Yamaha is a bit too pricey, at least from my local GW dealership) and prefer electronic shift. I have 225s now and prefer to stick with that power. My luck, Suzuki doesn't make electronic shift in a 225hp. Mercury definitely has the weight advantage at only about 50 total lbs more than my old 2 strokes. Suzuki 200s would be around 80lbs heavier and Suzuki 250's close to 300lbs heavier. I believe my boat is rated for 225s so I'd rather not exceed that hp. The new Merc V6s just came out last year. Anyone have experience with them? One disadvantage with Merc is that in white, it'll be at least a six month wait. Any thoughts?

dmdonofrio

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Strongly considering repowering my '98 Sailfish 272. Any members out there with a similar boat who have repowered recently? I'm considering Suzuki and Mercury (Yamaha is a bit too pricey, at least from my local GW dealership) and prefer electronic shift. I have 225s now and prefer to stick with that power. My luck, Suzuki doesn't make electronic shift in a 225hp. Mercury definitely has the weight advantage at only about 50 total lbs more than my old 2 strokes. Suzuki 200s would be around 80lbs heavier and Suzuki 250's close to 300lbs heavier. I believe my boat is rated for 225s so I'd rather not exceed that hp. The new Merc V6s just came out last year. Anyone have experience with them? One disadvantage with Merc is that in white, it'll be at least a six month wait. Any thoughts?

I repowered a 2000 272 in 2012. Original motors were Yamaha 200 two strokes. Replacement motors are Yamaha 200 HPDI two strokes. When repowering you need to consider the dashboard gauge package, wiring harness and shift/control cables. I cut the cost by sticking with Yamaha two strokes and not having to change gauges, wiring harness or shift/control cables. It was plug n play. Weight was a consideration for my repower as well. Unfortunately, I don't think Yamaha is making these two strokes any longer. My boat is just slightly under powered, for my taste, with the 200s under full load, packed for a long weekend get away (people, stuff, fuel, water, etc.). Other than that - fine. Also, consider ensuring the new motors have the proper propellers. There may be additional costs there as well.

Horesplay

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I repowered a 2000 272 in 2012. Original motors were Yamaha 200 two strokes. Replacement motors are Yamaha 200 HPDI two strokes. When repowering you need to consider the dashboard gauge package, wiring harness and shift/control cables. I cut the cost by sticking with Yamaha two strokes and not having to change gauges, wiring harness or shift/control cables. It was plug n play. Weight was a consideration for my repower as well. Unfortunately, I don't think Yamaha is making these two strokes any longer. My boat is just slightly under powered, for my taste, with the 200s under full load, packed for a long weekend get away (people, stuff, fuel, water, etc.). Other than that - fine. Also, consider ensuring the new motors have the proper propellers. There may be additional costs there as well.
Thanks for the info. The Suzuki dealer was trying to talk me into the 200s but I was concerned that might not be enough power for overnight trips when we're really loaded down. You've confirmed that concern. It's the Suzuki 225s in mechanical shift weighing in at about 260lbs more than my current engines or the Merc 225s with a electronic shift and negligible weight increase. The Mercs are more expensive and a longer wait but I think they makes the most sense. Wish I could find someone with experience with those engines. The new Merc V6 design just came out last year. Can't find much info on the web from people that have them.

Toothpick 10

Reaction score
Model
Islander
H6rseplay: What did you get for Yamaha pricing. I recently had a dealer give me a price of $40K for new dual 200 hp Yams, installed, and rigged.

Horesplay

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
H6rseplay: What did you get for Yamaha pricing. I recently had a dealer give me a price of $40K for new dual 200 hp Yams, installed, and rigged.
58k for twin Yamaha 225s, electronic shift, including instruments and installation. 40k for 200s sounds like a very good price but I'm guessing that's using your current instruments and shifter. Was it a GW dealer that quoted you?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I had a price of $40k Yamaha F200s (I4s)digital. Suzuki DF200AP $36k digital. New Merc V6 225 4 strokes $40k digital...said they won't be available for repowers til winter 2019-2020

Your year hull, like mine (2000 265) wasn't designed for the weight of 4 stroke V6s. I have Yamaha Ox66 225s. (kick ass gas guzzlers!) I think you are in the same boat as me...get Suzuki 200s or wait out the Mercurys
Yamaha priced themselves out but also I hear the Suzuki DF200AP has much more torque and performs much better than the Yamaha F200 4 cylinders.
Mercurys are a game changer if they pan out. Going to watch them this summer and make a decision. Don't want to commit to DF200s and kick myself down the road for not having V6 225s

Yamaha V6 225s are not an option due to weight. As you said...Suzuki doesn't offer 225s in digital and they are too heavy anyways.

Horesplay

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had a price of $40k Yamaha F200s (I4s)digital. Suzuki DF200AP $36k digital. New Merc V6 225 4 strokes $40k digital...said they won't be available for repowers til winter 2019-2020

Your year hull, like mine (2000 265) wasn't designed for the weight of 4 stroke V6s. I have Yamaha Ox66 225s. (kick ass gas guzzlers!) I think you are in the same boat as me...get Suzuki 200s or wait out the Mercurys
Yamaha priced themselves out but also I hear the Suzuki DF200AP has much more torque and performs much better than the Yamaha F200 4 cylinders.
Mercurys are a game changer if they pan out. Going to watch them this summer and make a decision. Don't want to commit to DF200s and kick myself down the road for not having V6 225s

Yamaha V6 225s are not an option due to weight. As you said...Suzuki doesn't offer 225s in digital and they are too heavy anyways.

I'm with you. I can get black mercs relatively fast (at least that's what I was told a week ago). It's the factory white that my dealer says is going to take forever to get. I'm going to look into the possibility of painting the black engines white.

Toothpick 10

Reaction score
Model
Islander
58k for twin Yamaha 225s, electronic shift, including instruments and installation. 40k for 200s sounds like a very good price but I'm guessing that's using your current instruments and shifter. Was it a GW dealer that quoted you?

Yes, price was from a GW dealer. I currently have a single, so price was for all new components up at the helm.

Mr.crab

Reaction score

Mr.crab

Reaction score
Call central marine Florida, Yamaha 225 4.2L twin with DEC controls installed myself. Plug and play it was first time was so easy, installed on my 1994 25 sailfish then moved them to my 2000 Marlin. Boat rated at 500 hp
motors have 300 hp power head , lots of low end top speed only 41 knots .