repowering 98 sailfish

chuckr30

Reaction score
has anyone repowered a 98 272 sailfish? Looking to repower mine and I am looking for any info that I can get. thanks

chuckr30

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies
Could you give me some performance#s Mpg at speeds etc. thanks
Can seem to find enough info to help me decide between the four strokes and the hpdis
I would prefer to stick with the yamahas if possible
Any info I can get would be greatly appreciated
Thank

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
Chuckr: Sorry to get back to you so late. I had OX66 200 motors and switched to 200 HPDI motors. I went from 1.4 to 1.8 mpg at 3500 rpm and reduced my oil usage by 40% using the same props. I normally cruise at 3200 or 3500 rpms and get 24mph and 28mph. At WOT 5400 rpms I am going about 37 to 38 mph. I chose the 2 stroke motors because of the extra weight of the 4 stroke motors at the time, and the cost difference( I found factory remans for a great price).

River Rat

Reaction score
We have a 95 w / 200hp mercs that will need replacing at some point. We'll go with another set of 200 hp 2 stroke. If for no other reason they are all ~100# lighter than 4 stokes. Not as fuel efficient, by we don't venture too far from home. Also heard of the added weight of 4strokes lowering the transom somewhat on a boat that already has a tendency to squat while getting on plane. If we go 4 strike, we'd definitely get 225 hp, while 200 is plenty for the lighter 2strokes.
With our old 200 mercs we cruise at 3500rpm/25kt top out at 5200rpm /38 it. Plenty fast.

Not sure but I think the 2strokes are several thousand less per engine. That's about 700 gal of fuel, with oil to go with it. Based on fuel efficiency, it would take us several years to recoup the added cost for four strokes.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Not sure but I think the 2strokes are several thousand less per engine. That's about 700 gal of fuel, with oil to go with it. Based on fuel efficiency, it would take us several years to recoup the added cost for four strokes.

The E-TEC numbers here show that if your boating includes a mix of slow trolling and cruising, you may never make up the difference because on average, the fuel economy is likely to be the same.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20748

I hauled my boat today and added fuel treatment to the tanks for the winter. Since these engines sip only 0.2 GPH each at idle - I figured I would have to idle them for over an hour to get the fuel treatment past the fuel filters and into the injectors. (I ended up taking a last short little cruise instead...)

GTOMAN

Reaction score
When River Rat was saying he thought the difference between 200 HPDI and 4 strokes was several thousand per engine, was he referring to the new in-line 200HP 4-stroke vs. a new 200HPDI with 25" shaft? I think the specs on the Yamaha site only refer to a 20" shaft for a new 200HPDI. Are you sure you can buy a 25" shaft in them?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Rainmaker, you are off on the HPDI history (besides not keeping them a secret!!, those smelly 2 strokes you know !)

Never a recall ever, too.

Try it again!

The irony further is that car motors are going to (some brands all the way to H-P-D-I (AUDI is first), and 100% are 4 strokers.