Repowering a 1985 Seafarer 227

canz

Reaction score
I was wondering if I could some opions about repowering my Seafarer. The boat is a 1985 model year but I love the ride and the hull is still real solid. The block cracked and now there is water mixed with oil. I have an OMC800 outdrive and was thinking of pulling it out and converting it to an outboard. I am still on the fence, I know the transom will need to fixed and I will have to mount a bracket to put the outboard on. I would appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks,

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You may need transom work regardless of sticking with an outdrive or going to an outboard. If you go to an outboard, putting a bracket on would be your best bet. That boat was not ment for the weight of a four stroke, even with a floatation bracket it is not ment for it, it will sit too low and your cockpit will not drain well. You will need to find a new 2 stroke, used 2 stroke, or go to smaller power like an F150, but your speed and power will not be great and would not be my top choice. I have a 1989 that we repowered in 2000 with a Yamaha 200hp HPDI, great engine for that hull. If you could find a leftover or low hour 200 HPDI that would be a good engine. If you were hoping to go to a 200+hp fourstroke, I would highly advise against it, as will Grady White and you may need to stick to an outdrive.

canz

Reaction score
Gradyfish thank you for your reply. I was leaning towards a four stroke but your info was new to me. I know I still need to rework the transom if I go to a different i/o. At this point and with the new info you added I might save time and money by going to a new i/o. I will look into the Yamaha 200 you mentioned. Thanks again.

beagleboy

Reaction score
I have a 1987 228g grady I repowered last summer. Found a new Yamaha 2003 200hp OX66 stored at a boat dealers shop. Paid 8k delivered to Houston. Engine came with 2yr factory warranty. Took 6 mo of looking but there is some good stuff out there.

canz

Reaction score
Thanks beagleboy, I think I will keep looking while I get the transom ready. Maybe I can find as good a deal as you did.