Repowering a 1991 Tournament 225

Green Mountain Grady

Reaction score
This is my first post and need some advice about repowering. I have a 1991 Yamaha 225 and after a summer of fun it decided not to start as I was trying to get it out for the season. My mechanic took a quick look at it and they didn't get any compression on the #6 cylinder. I also was hearing some metallic sound when cranking it over. Anyhow, it's not sounding good. I replaced the lower unit last summer.
My mechanic is pulling the head this weekend to see, but he's not real positive on the outcome. My choices are to get a new powerhead and rebuild the existing engine ($5,000-6,000) or buy a used 2 stroke (preferably a Yamaha so can keep existing controls). Any thoughts out there on which way makes more sense? I live in Vermont so not many large outboards up here so any suggestions on who I could contact would be appreciated. I'd like to keep any expenditure to about $5,000 or so. Another question would be to stay with a carburated engine or go fuel injection?
Thanks for your input. Green Mtn Grady, Burlington, VT

striped bass

Reaction score
I would rebuild your 225 since you already replaced the lower unit. If you do a change out, a rebuilt 225 OX66 fuel injection will be a real long lasting workhorse.

Green Mountain Grady

Reaction score
Striped Bass, Thanks for the feedback. I'd prefer to rebuild my engine, but didn't know if this would be smart if I could move up to a newer, fuel injected engine for the same or not much more money.

striped bass

Reaction score
You would have to do a price comparison between your 225 and and, lets say, a rebuilt 1998 OX66 Fuel injected Yamaha. The numbers will probably favor rebuilding your own 225 since you have already replaced the lower unit. As a guess a re-built OX66 fuel injected 225 is about $4K ($6K fully dressed) for the power head and $2K for the lower unit. If you have been happy with your current 225 I'd stick with it.