Repowering a 2000 222 fisherman.

jerseytiger10

Reaction score
Website
www.townmotors.com
Model
Express 360
Anyone have experience here? Looking to repower with a 250 hp four stroke but wondering if the position of the scuppers comes into play due to added weight. Maybe I should consider 200 hp?

any advice?

Thanks

Reaction score
Not sure what motor you have now but I’m in the process of repowering my Explorer 246g. I currently have a 2000 Yamaha 250 OX66 2 stroke and am repowering with a Mercury 300 Pro XS 4 stroke.

I am actually going down in weight.
Yamaha 250: 540lbs
Mercury 300: 527lbs

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I went from a Yamaha 225 (OX66) two stroke at 525lbs to the F250 four stroke at 550lbs. Not enough difference to affect transom.

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I went with the F250 due to the weight of the 226 with hardtop. Educated guess has the loaded weight at 6000lbs. Same guess on the 222 at 5000lbs. Do you need a F250? First question I would answer.

Hineser Out

Reaction score
I have a 2006 222 Fisherman. I had a F225 that blew up and repowered with a 4.2 250. I also moved the batteries to the console. With half tank of fuel the scuppers are just out of the water when sitting in the slip. I replaced the flaps on the scuppers so they work well and everything works well. They drain out no prob when drift fishing. The performance of the F250 is night and day over the F225. I have a few videos on youtube. Search under Hineser Out.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hineser and LT,,,, did you go fly by wire or mechanical when you repowered with the 4.2 F250?

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I stayed mechanical with the F250XB. Never really even looked into the FBW, not wanting ($$) to swap the existing controls and gauges, etc.

Reactions: Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I stayed mechanical with the F250XB. Never really even looked into the FBW, not wanting ($$) to swap the existing controls and gauges, etc.

I'm looking into FBW for a few reasons.

It's smoother operations and recommendations from those that have switched.

If I stayed mechanical, I'd still be changing control box and cables out and at least the tach so it would have 0 hours for the new motor. I found last year when I changed the cover on my 704 control that the salt has almost eaten it up. I'm hoping it holds together long enough to get me to the repower. FBW will be more expensive yes, but I'm so far in with all that needs replacing, might as well go all in.
20180504_213802.jpg20180504_213812.jpg

Hineser Out

Reaction score
Stuck with mechanical. All the all gauges and everything lined up perfect. The square gauges have everything I need. Didn’t want to start cutting the dash up for new gauges plus saved money.

Reactions: Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Stuck with mechanical. All the all gauges and everything lined up perfect. The square gauges have everything I need. Didn’t want to start cutting the dash up for new gauges plus saved money.

Luckily when I change, everything will fit back in the existing footprint, gauges and control box.

Fishtales

Reaction score
That corrosion is interesting. Maybe an electrolysis path? Never saw that before.

UCPA111

Reaction score
+1 for fly by wire. I was really on the fence about it when I repowered. I wasn't sure of the cost benefit analysis. I can say it is phenomenal. No struggles with setting trolling speed and the smoothness is fantastic. I've not had a problem in two seasons of use. I don't know what Yamaha has for current controls. The Mercury binnacle has some nice features. Linked with Vesselview, it is really powerful.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That corrosion is interesting. Maybe an electrolysis path? Never saw that before.

Wouldn't it have to be in constant contact with water for electrolysis to happen? I guess saltwater moisture in the Florida air for all those years could do it. To say the least, I was surprised to see it that bad, then again, premature fuel tank failure was a surprise too.

UCPA111

Reaction score
Wouldn't it have to be in constant contact with water for electrolysis to happen? I guess saltwater moisture in the Florida air for all those years could do it. To say the least, I was surprised to see it that bad, then again, premature fuel tank failure was a surprise too.
When I repowered I saw the same think on the binnacle that was on my boat. It was strange.

Boomhauer

Reaction score
Not sure the weight of your 222, but I would consider the G1 Etecs.
When I repowerd my 83 226 two years ago, I went with a 150 G1 and love it.... great hole shot, better than the old 200 carb Johnson I took off.... also great in mid range. I save some weight compared to the old motor and it’s smaller, so getting back in with tanks is easier.
If 150 small block isn’t enough, you could look at the big block v6 225. (Not sure of its weight) .
My boat couldn’t take a 4S with our diving loads.
Just a thought.