repowering a 25 dolphin

slow ride

Reaction score
I'm in the market to repower this hull came across a pair of 250's. I need some input on adding this size of motors to a 25' rated for 200's

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Slow, how fast do you want to go?

Does boat have a motor bracket or transom cutout?

Are 250s two or four stroke?

slow ride

Reaction score
Bob, the transom is closed with a grady bracket and speed is not a big issue I'd like to cruise at 25mph. The motors I'm looking at are priced right

richie rich

Reaction score
If the sticker on your boat says its rated for 400HP max, I don't think you can legally go past that number......the hull design and thickness is based on several variables including maximum speed....if its overpowered, it can potentially go faster than what it was designed for and cause problems......You should check the Coast Guard regulations on the HP rule...your insurance company may have an issue with it as well.

boatz

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
25 Dolphin power

This hull is rated for 400hp max. I don't beleive you can get insurance if over powered.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You will need a new bracket rated 500HP at the least.
May have to tie in the main stringers to transom, as now they are not. Check with a boat rebuilder on it.

depending on weight added, stern may be too low and you may get some water up the scuppers onto deck.

Simulate added weight with sand bags.

slow ride

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I needed to hear this and kind of knew it but the price just kept sucking me back towards them I'll end up rebuilding what I have or looking for a good used pair of 200's