REPOWERING BOAT

Reaction score
THINKING ABOUT REPOWERING MY 1988 204 C OVERNIGHTER NEED THE GOOD AND BAD STUFF ABOUT THE MOTORS . MY LIST IS YAMAHA 150 4 STROKE 175 E TEC OR A 200 YAMAHA HPDI THANKS

derx2

Reaction score
Lots of coin if you hang a new O/B a 25 year old boat.
What power do you have now?
What are your fishing/cruising grounds?
How many people do you usually have on board?
Do you have a bracket-ed hull and/or a hard top?

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 1988 Overnighter that I repowered in 2002 with a 200 HPDI. I could not be happier with the set up. The HPDI has been a great engine and in my opinion is the perfect match for this hull.

I do not keep exacting records of fuel burn and such but can tell you that the HPDI is about 30% better than the old carbed Yamaha 200. It is like I switched from the 65 gallon tank to an 85 gallon tank. Before the bottom was painted it would run over 50 mph (GPS). Now it is a solid 47 - 48 mph.

My big concern was weight at the stern and the scuppers. Boat sits slightly lower at stern but no water backs up unless boat is fully loaded with fuel, bait, ice, and 2 or 3 guys.

Reaction score
I UNDERSTAND ABOUT SPENDING THE MONEY ON THAT AGE OF A BOAT. I BOUGHT HER NEW IN 1988 AND I HAVE TAKEN GOOD CARE OF HER THE BOAT HAS HAD THREE SURVEYS DONE IN ITS LIFE ALL SAID IT WAS A CREAM PUFF STILL HAS THE TRANSOM IN FROM NEW AND SAME GAS TANK NO PROBLEMS AT ALL HEARD GOOD THINGS ABOUT THE HPDI MOTORS WHO KNOWS MAYBE I WILL PUT HER UP 4 SALE SOMEBODY WILL GET A REALLY GOOD BOAT I THINK I"M WAY OVER DO