Repowering Marlin.

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Decided to repower my 05 Marlin from 2005 F250s to new 300 Yamahas. Motors won't be at the dealer until the 14th of February (happy vday to me) so I have some time to get excited. In fact, I remember this feeling as a kid waiting for Xmas. So, you guys that have already upgraded, what do I have to look forward to ? With my 250s everyone else says they got about 1.2 mpg. Maybe it was because I ran heavy or in rough water but the best I ever got offshore was 1.0 mpg. I am hoping for a little improvement but we will see. My buddy with an express went from 225 to the 300s and gets a little worse mpg. He's kind of a lead foot though so I'm hoping he's the exception and not the rule. (Yea you Coconut) The new controls seem pretty bad azz as well. Anyway, I plan on putting together a nice video and thread dedicated to the repower. Looking forward to the journey!

Fishtales

Reaction score
Fire away. I want to see this....

Coconut330

Reaction score
Your gona love the performance. The reason you only got 1mpg is all the stuff you carried on your boat. Not every body carries a coffin box full of beer!!!! LOL
I don't run my boat for best mpg. I run what ever the conditions let me. What props are you gona use? You know my situation using the Rev 4's.

freddy063

Reaction score
just so I get it right, your going from twin 250's to twin 300'S ? to better you MPG wouldn't you go down to twin 200's? Just asking because I have to re power soon and want to learn.

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Why not Rob? Haha. There is one problem with your theory though. We drink all the beer, and I still only get 1mpg! :mrgreen: I was just ball parking numbers with Mark for the repower and when I asked about 250s he just kind of looked at me like I had 3 heads. Apparently, those are not an option. :<><
I think he ordered me the sws 4 blade yamaha props. Not sure if they will be here in time though so may start out with my 3 blades.

Im repowering because I have decided to keep my boat for the long run instead of moving up to the express. I originally bought this boat instead of the express because of the deal I found was to good to let go. We normally run 50 miles plus offshore where I live, and plan on doing more 75 mile plus trips. The motors have been good to me but they are getting up there in age and since I'm keeping her, I wanted the added security of newer technology. Not to mention the cool factor :D

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am interested in your repower. I have an 07 Marlin. My L/D max at 4100RPM is gives me 1.2 at 20.4 gallons per hour. I run pretty loaded also. I run 50-75 miles off shore often. If you can share where you are/dealer and how much, as I am toying with the idea of repowering. Are you upgrading the instruments also?

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
If you want to go in there and buy new 300s with fly by wire controls and the digital gauges you're looking at about 54k. If you want to take your time and find good deals on the equipment, wait for engine rebates and stuff, you can probably to it for 46k. I am paying 54 out the door with taxes and everything. Paying more for the controls and stuff I'm sure but I can have it done now and not wait. Coconut did his the right way. Waiting for deals and being patient. I will be sure to post performance data when I have some. Also hoping I can mount a gopro in his shop for a time lapse video of the motors going on and coming off. We"ll see about that one though.
I am in Daytona Beach Florida and the shops name is Marine Specialties.

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Will standby for the video. Should be cool to watch.

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Motors are in! Finally :dance ... I talked about the time lapse but it seems it really is not practical. I have to drop it off and they will be working on it in shifts so it would involve changing batteries of the go pro and memory cards. To much work. I will put something together though, and post performance numbers.

:dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance