REPOWERING MY 2005 23 FT GULFSTREAM

USSBATHTUB

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I JUST PURCHASED A 2021 YAMAHA F300 V6 4.2 ( DID NOT GET THE ENGINE YET ) AND SOME OF MY FRIENDS SAID THE ENGINE ISN'T RIGHT FOR MY BOAT ANY FEED BACK WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED MY BOAT HAS A BRACKET. THANK YOU JOEY

Keitha

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Did they say why they felt it isn't right for your boat? Such an odd post. I couldn't imagine moving forward with such a major purchase without being absolutely certain, without any doubt that it is right.
- Does your boat have twin motors currently - is the bracket set-up for twins?
- Horsepower wise, you will be OK

USSBATHTUB

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR REPLY. MY BOAT CAME FROM THE FACTORY 1 ENGINE THANK YOU AGAIN JOEY

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
A 300 factory installed on a Gulfstream is a good choice for Gulfstream. There are twin options that might provide better performance but at a significant costs. Enjoy the new boat

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yeah, I'm curious as well as to why they say a 4.2 F300 isn't right for your boat?? The 300 would be ideal for a Gulfstream seeing as yours came rigged as a single too.

USSBATHTUB

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I'D LIKE TO THANK EVERYONE FOR YOUR REPLYS I FEEL BETTERER NOW THANKS AGAIN JOEY

rprieser

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
All:

Great question. I restored an older 23 Gulf Stream and re-powered with a single Suzuki 350 (30 inch shaft) but looked real hard at the Yamaha F300. Both are excellent choices but went with the Suzuki because of the additional horse power, the dura-prop arrangement, better fuel efficiency. I run 30+ miles off shore, love the engine and cut my fuel bill by a third over my old twin 2 stroke Yamaha 150's.

Last edited:

USSBATHTUB

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
All:

Great question. I restored an older 23 Gulf Stream and re-powered with a single Suzuki 350 (30 inch shaft) but looked real hard at the Yamaha F300. Both are excellent choices but went with the Suzuki because of the additional horse power, the dura-prop arrangement, better fuel efficiency. I run 30+ miles off shore, love the engine and cut my fuel bill by at a third over my old twin 2 stroke Yamaha 150's.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH

seasick

Reaction score
All:

Great question. I restored an older 23 Gulf Stream and re-powered with a single Suzuki 350 (30 inch shaft) but looked real hard at the Yamaha F300. Both are excellent choices but went with the Suzuki because of the additional horse power, the dura-prop arrangement, better fuel efficiency. I run 30+ miles off shore, love the engine and cut my fuel bill by a third over my old twin 2 stroke Yamaha 150's.
I believe that that year hull is rated for 300HP.

pessacake

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
All:

@rprieser you went from doubles to single? Mostly cost related?