Repowering question. 24 offshore, gil bracket, johnson 225

fishingstories

Reaction score
Hello to all, first timer here.

bought my first grady on EBAY. BIG MISTAKE !

Boat was not what was described, but it was still a Grady. Had to fix it because I could not do to others what was done to me. funny huh.

Anyways, I bought a 84 24' offshore with a seadrive whatever you call it. It was a POS. Took the boat to the fiberglass shop and had the HOLES and cracks fixed and I told the repair guy to take that POS motor off and he can have it. so he did. All holes were repaired and Grady was bought back to life...less the few soft spots in the back deck. I bought a 27 inch gil bracket and then I found a 96 johnson 225 oceanrunner. I mounted the motorall the way to the lowest hole. With the motor lowered down, it sits about 36 inches from the drain hole. The bottom of the transom is about level with the cavitation plate. (hope that I am calling it the right name, it is where you attach a fin)

my question is...Is the motor too low? Is the prop right ? Is it normal for this boat to sit like this in the water line.?

The water line is under the water and the motor sits low in the water too. I have a hard time seeing the water "p". My first time in the water, I could not get the motor to go more than 4300 RPM. Spinning a 15x7 prop. had 1/2 tank gas (48 gallon). I did notice that the shift cables might have some slack in it.

any input would help.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
With that rpm number I would say that you are for sure not running the correct prop, but the engine height may not be correct as well. First question to help others who see this post, what engine shaft length?, that may help answer some props, not sure if 25" or 30" was correct for that boat, I'm thinking 25" so if it is a 30" it likely needs to be moved up. It sounds like you may bge slightly low since on the mounting seeing that you are running a bracket which allows you to mount an engine a little higher then normal. This will not bring back much rpm though. Did you try trimming the engine up to gain rpm, if you run with it fully tilted down you will lose maybe 300-500 but that still puts you low I believe for that engines max rpm range. Hopefully others will chime in and get your engine at the correct engine height, then you can play around with props, but I would not fiddle with the prop until the height is right or close to it. Good luck, sorry to hear about the bad luck but in the end she will be a great rig!!

B-Faithful

Reaction score
I would want my rpms to be around 5500 with that motor. If the engine is running properly, Make sure you motor is mounted to the correct height. See this thread here and the photos by Ken2 of Prop gods. Then look at props once you have the motor mounted at the correct height.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/forums/thre ... 44&start=1

motor mounted too low:
toolow1.jpg

Motor mounted at the correct height:
correctheight21-1.jpg

CaptKennyW

Reaction score
if the boat was not as described i would not have taken delivery of it. and if its bad on the outside just imagine what its like inside (gas tanks bilge ect)

fishingstories

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I will have to observe the motor's position when i take it out soon. i was foolish to purchase boat without looking at it. that was my fault no one else. I have open the hatch and drained the tank. it is fine, i refilled it with new fuel, new water separator. Its gonna take some elbow grease and time and money but i gotta make it right. I'll keep you posted with i take it out again.

does anyone know how this boat will perform with a 225. what i mean is any info on the mpg or gph at rpm range? I have seen on the internet that this same boat has twin motor set up as well. I will post some pic soon. thank again for replies.

fishingstories

Reaction score
finally took boat out. proves to you that i dont have that much time to use the boat. The motor was a bite low, i raised it up 3 inches and it began to cavitate. i just mounted a fin on the lower unit. will keep you posted on the results. with the 15x17 prop. i am still spinning 4400 rpm and going 29 mphs. raising the motor, i lost 2 miles. this is with a half tank and 300 lb on board. anyone with a 225 pushing a boat like this , if so what is the rpm and miles range?

fishingstories

Reaction score
found out what was wrong. a wire had corroded off one of the connectors on the power pack from stator. was very lucky to find this. engine height was ok. engine ran fine as well. had no symptom of misfire or anything.
getting 5400 rpm WOT , 36 mph at 1.6 mpg on my lowrance fuel flo and i dont remember what i got at cruise. I was just happy I was able to go over 4200 rpm. time to enjoy it. thanks for help.