Repowering question

Stripered

Reaction score
I've got a 1992 dolphin with twin 200 hp yamahas. Have a marina that is trying to talk me into repowering with 1999 150 hp yamahas. Does or has anyone on this site ever ran a 25' dolphin/sailfish with only twin 150's? My boat has a full transom with a Grady bracket. Any input is appreciated.

HaleNalu

Reaction score
I've seen it done... had another owner that did it with Yami F150's. I had a 252G with 200's and wouldn't have ever consider repowering with 25% less power. Stick with the 200's. There's a reason that pretty much every Sailfish has 200's or 225's (and now 250's).

richie rich

Reaction score
I've got twin 150s on my sailfish and theyre ok for me, but mine are 2 strokes and have plenty of bottom end.....I think you'll notice the loss of torque going from twin 200's V6's to twin F150 4S, 4 cylinders......if thats the type you're leaning towards

boatz

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 1991 Dolphin. I currently have twin Yamaha 200HP. I have playing with the idea of repowering with Evinrude etecs 200hp. Pricing does not look that bad.

Stripered

Reaction score
What kind of number are they giving you for the 200 hp etecs?

boatz

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
So far I have pricing of $13K ea completly set up. I know it is a lot of money for an older boat but I really love the hull and can't imagine getting rid of it.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thats an incredilble deal, does it include instruments, controls?

If you keep the boat and use boat for years, new motors = new boat.

If you don't you bought new motors for next owner as gift. You would need to sell motors as motors alone to do better , and reinstall the Yamis so keep them in back of garage if that's the plan.

no problem

Reaction score
boatz said:
So far I have pricing of $13K ea completly set up. I know it is a lot of money for an older boat but I really love the hull and can't imagine getting rid of it.

This time last year I got several quotes for Etecs. I did not get quotes for a complete job that came anywhere near 13k each. That is a steal. Get that one in writing!

I have a 92 dolphin with a bracket and I chose suzuki 200's. I think the 175's would be the ideal for that boat. I'm not sure I would sink money in 99 motors. So that were all on the same page, how much are those 150's going to cost installed and out the door if you don't mind my asking?

richie rich

Reaction score
That's a total steal.....I was quoted $15k each, installed for the 200's....by two different Etec vendors....that's what Ed's charges for the motors alone.

boatz

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Very good point about getting in writing ( it was a verbal quote). Like I said I am just playing with the idea. My engines have been running fine. I might get more serious about after my kids finish college.

Stripered

Reaction score
The first number thrown at me for the 150's was $ 11,000 before installation. Seems way too high to me. Found another pair of 150's at another marina - 1997's and the first number they quoted was $ 6,000 installed. Basically taking my 200's off and bolting the 150's on. Both said that I would get no warranty. At this point, I may just sell the boat as is with one motor that needs to be repaired. The other motor runs fine. What do you think I could get for her? - 1992 Dolphin

Stripered

Reaction score
After talking with some grady dealers, They have advised against the 150's. Saying the boat would be underpowered. Stick to the 200's.