Resealing a gas tank

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I know this will be controversial, but anyone ever reseal their tank? I havent pulled my tank yet, but getting some gas fumes (no leaking fuel in the bilge). I will need pull tank, but wondering if anyone has tried to reseal the tank (i have seen some that reseal from inside), pretty sure i have some pinholes on top of the tank.
Trying to find an estimate for a new tank (northeast) - anyone have approx price for a 208 adventure?

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
My 2 cents is that while going through the effort to pull the tank, it’s typically worth it to go new... so you aren’t pulling again within 5 years

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I'll second that especially if you are paying someone to do the tank repair work.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Just for clarification, it was never "sealed" to start with - so you are no "re-sealing". But I'll third what's already been said. This is not an area where you want to experiment. We have no idea how old your boat is, but if you have pinholes on the top, the bottom can't be far behind. You shouldn't have any problems finding a welder that can make the tank for you - NJ is a big boating area. Roughly speaking, about $10-$15 per gallon. Depending on what size tank you want, you might be able to find a plastic tank that would work.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Don't just use a welder - go to a company that makes fuel tanks.

SP Tanks in Clarmont, NJ and Patriot Marine in Forked River, NJ.

Here is a post I save off:
I went with Patriot Marine Fabricating in New Jersey. He makes them a little narrower so they fit better, but otherwise the stock GW design and he's a certified fuel tank manufacturer. I think it was around $750 for the tank and a couple hundred in shipping. Beautiful tank. Paul Spisak is his name. 609-693-5542 This includes the sender in the tank. Not much $$ for the peace of mind. Replaced all hoses when I did it as well. PM me if you have questions.

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Don't just use a welder - go to a company that makes fuel tanks.

SP Tanks in Clarmont, NJ and Patriot Marine in Forked River, NJ.

Here is a post I save off:
I went with Patriot Marine Fabricating in New Jersey. He makes them a little narrower so they fit better, but otherwise the stock GW design and he's a certified fuel tank manufacturer. I think it was around $750 for the tank and a couple hundred in shipping. Beautiful tank. Paul Spisak is his name. 609-693-5542 This includes the sender in the tank. Not much $$ for the peace of mind. Replaced all hoses when I did it as well. PM me if you have questions.

Thanks all, will look into but unfortunately. The boat is a 1996, will see when i pull how bad it is. If i got 5 more years by sealing (meant reseal since it was leaking, i understand not sealed in the sense i mentioned) i would consoder that a win, most i have seen seal from inside the tank. Will look into and report back.
Doesnt help that i just tried to remove sending unit and broke a screw, will have to handle if keep tank, of not non issue if i replace.

seasick

Reaction score
You don't know what is leaking assuming there is a leak. Do a few nose tests first.
If you smell fumes when you first board the vessel, pull the forward tank assess plate and smell. If you don't smell fumes or the fumes are a lot less than when you first boarded the boat, the tank is not leaking from its bottom.
Now with 3/4 tank, go for a run with several quicks starts on plane. Come to a stop and open the rear tank access plate. If you don't see gas or have a strong smell, you sender is probably not leaking.
Check after gassing up nut don't fill the tank all the way. If you have a general smell in the helm area but not in the tank compartment, you probably have a fill or vent leak or more likely, a vapor leak in the old hoses.

As mentioned, it is not advisable to seal your tank if it is original.

Do you cover your boat when not using. If so, what do you cover? Helm with cockpit cover, full canvas, full deck etc.
Is the gas tank cap covered?
Have you checked the condition of the gas cap o-ring?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I'm with the others...don't try to seal it. Your sending unit screw holes will screw you too. Tanks at 20 years are a disaster waiting to happen..

For a 20 footer....Look at Meoller plastic tanks. You will probably find one that will work. never have a problem again. cheaper shipping..

If you go with aluminum, shipping will kill you. Your tank is not so large that you can't pick it up yourself. Years ago I had a 55 gal belly tank made by Atlantic Coastal Welding aka "speedytanks" in Bayville NJ. it was $550...probably more now...

seasick

Reaction score
I think this is the oem tank for later year 208s
You would need to measure your current tank to be sure it will fit.
It is about 650 bucks plus shipping so it isn't cheap. I suspect that shipping will be less than a metal tank.

rprieser

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I pulled my tanks, cleaned out all residual fuel, had a welder close up a couple of pin holes, encapsulated tank in fiberglass, reinstalled tank. That was 7 years ago with no problem. Rule of thumb for new tank cost is $10.00 per gallon -- 100 gallon tank cost $1,000 plus installation.

Reactions: DogBone