Resolution of my 250

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Yammaha is going to put a new powerhead on the boat! I am very pleased to say the least. However, they did not find a cause other than possibly by me. They suspect the motor was briefly submerged while coming off plane since it is a bracketed motor. Do any of you give any special attention to detail while coming off plane on your bracketed boats? I am very pleased Yammaha is going to put a new powerhead at no charge, but if I did this I sure do not ever want to repeat it? what do you all think about water over taking motor or submerging it while coming off plane?

georgemjr

Reaction score
I usually back off easy and leave a little power in until the wake subsides, more so because I think it is prudent than necessary. I had a 24' offshore, bracketed, and never came close to submerging the motor, even if I backed off the throttle all at once. Watch your motor as you back off, and see how deep it gets in the wake. You shouldn't have to worry about this, otherwise there would be a lot more siezed motors out there. If it were truly your fault, Yamaha wouldn't be so quick to shell out another powerhead in my opinion...

richie rich

Reaction score
SMG....that's great news to hear they will fix your motor.....but about coming off plane???that's a bit of a stretch for Yamaha to say that....I've got twins on a bracket and am constantly gunning and stopping when trying to grab a drift spot amongst 50 other boats fighting for the same real estate....never a problem.....I never have water coming over the top of the bonnet or anything, but water does reach the bonnet rim and handles.....that's a first time explanation/excuse for me...that kind of water would snuff out your motor.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Great news man, i knew Yamaha would not let you down. As far as the coming off plane BS, don't worry, it's been done PLENTY of times from A LOT of people and nothing happened, if they like to think that was the problem, let them think as long as they change your power for free, i would like to know though what was the REAL cause of your problem(if it was) and not just a bad powerhead, which it happens.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
different perspective. my twin f200's on the gulfstream sat very low. i was never one to come off plane quickly, always slow and easy. however, i can easily see water hitting the back of the cowlings and flooding into the air intakes on the top if you were to come down off plane abruptly. also, if you where moving fast enough, the wave could possible push the bottom of the cowling in a little. in either case, the possibility should have been engineered into the motor - so maybe that's why they stepped up.

good luck and have fun with the new engine. ron

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
I thought they had re design the rear air intake on the F series a few years ago, maybe i thought wrong ?????

i don't know, but if air can get in i would guess that you can also have water in under the "right" circumstances. also, the above water exhaust port could get water pushed back in. mine was real low to the waterline. i saw that they redesigned that port a year or two after my model.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
So the important thing is...how long til you get it back? :lol:

no problem

Reaction score
I think they should have blamed al-qaeda. The terrorists hate our outboards! :lol: Sometimes in a pinch I blame aliens. You can't prove it wasn't , right? Very glad to hear it's going to work out.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Do you launch your boat from a trailer?

Water entering the block is fairly common in the Cook Inlet region of Alaska where they launch boats directly into the surf using tractors. If an exhaust valve is open, water can be forced into the cylinder through the exhaust.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Thanks Guys...it makes little sense to me as well. My wife and a friend were sitting in the stern seats and when I came off plane they did not get wet and the top of the motor is wellvabove the top of the transom. It would seem they would have been wet too if this was the problem? I came off plane alot of times quickly in my old 192, never a problem.

I hope to get her back next week! Yammi sent the powerhead out yesterday, and their plant is litterally maybe an hour and half from the shop...so hopefully Monday they get it at the shop.

I trailer the boat and launch it. The motor is tilted up for travel and as we put her in the water I lower it when the stern starts to float off the trailer. The Admiral can back her in like nobody's business :)

I too want to know the problem, the mechanic said there was water in all cylinders when he tore it down. Anyway, I am thrilled for the new powerhead. I consider myself a safe captain, I am just second guessing myself a little, but then again, Yammi is covering it, so perhaps there is something else going on we dont know and they dont want to admit publicly :?:

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
SmokyMtnGrady said:
so perhaps there is something else going on we dont know and they dont want to admit publicly :?:

companies with good reputations NEVER would do something like that. it would be like an old line financial advisor recommending an investment and then betting against you. who would do such a thing? :shock: :shock:

jellyfish

Reaction score
i would want to know just so it does not happen again. I have a F200 and my engine sits low on my GW 208, SO I wonder if I am getting any water in my engine? It runs fine. How high would the water have to be to enter it? where would the water come in? The exhaust?

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
Personally I would be very surprised if water was getting into your engine from outside. These motors are engineered to sit on the transoms of boats left outdoors in all types of weather, rain, wind, etc. Plus they seem to dominate the salt water ocean fishing market. Certainly you would think Yamaha would engineer them such that when you back down on a fish and potentially take water over the transom that you wouldn't be taking on water in the engine.
I have never thought or worried about it on my Tournament which has the same bracket, but I will take a look next time I'm out. If Yamaha did not engineer for that it would be a pretty big "whoops" and you would think you'd hear about other cases all the time.
I once saw a boat load of idiots go under and come back out of 76 Falls @ Cumberland in an old outboard and it got completely drowned but the motor kept right on running.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I would be very surprised if water from a baxkwash got in the engine. I could see if it was submerged ..sound llike a lame excuse but they are doing right by you = good luck with this one!

no problem

Reaction score
For water to be in the motor at the boatyard you would need to swamp your motor, then tow it in not running. Then allow your motor to rust and seize. Next take your rig to the mechanic full of rust and water. Or internal failure was leaking water into combustion chamber and it was burning off unnoticed until you stopped for the day. While at rest rust gained a foothold and seized the engine. The latter is more likely. Don't beat yourself up over this one. Just my $.02

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
ElyseM said:
SmokyMtnGrady said:
so perhaps there is something else going on we dont know and they dont want to admit publicly :?:

companies with good reputations NEVER would do something like that. it would be like an old line financial advisor recommending an investment and then betting against you. who would do such a thing? :shock: :shock:

Happened before Elyse by a few companies, and it happened because they did not have the fix yet, so that is why some times you have a problem, i have the same problem etc, etc and is fixed by the company and later they come out with a recall and a fix. I'm not saying that this is Yamaha, but it happened to me with another brand.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The air intakes on these motors, if you look at a cutaway view, should have redundent design in the intakes/air tubes that would shed or otherwise turn away any water that may be encountered on coming of plane quick, splashing and such, reguardless of what transom they hang on. Short of sinking the boat, the water should not have entered the motor from the air intakes as Yammy has suggested that you did.

To save face in this tough economy, they have blamed you, but have stepped up and will replace the powerhead on thier dime, I don't think so. They know it's a failure in the manufacturing of your motor, why else would they replace at thier cost if indeed it is operator error ?

As others have said, you are not the first and won't be the last, to come off plane quickly on a 228 or any other bracketed boat.

I too would want the real answer to what happend, but you may never get it. Talk with your mechanic, if you trust him, and go with that. If he has been around any length of time at all, he has a pretty good idea what happend.

Get back out on the water and enjoy the boat with the family.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
ElyseM said:
SmokyMtnGrady said:

Happened before Elyse by a few companies, and it happened because they did not have the fix yet, so that is why some times you have a problem, i have the same problem etc, etc and is fixed by the company and later they come out with a recall and a fix. I'm not saying that this is Yamaha, but it happened to me with another brand.

yeah, that's what i'm saying. no matter how good a company is, products, services etc aren't bullet-proof (even bullet-proof vests aren't truly bullet "proof"). the key for me is the company that stands behind the product and doesn't make a problem "yours". i've heard enough stories from my tech (biased of course) about yamaha to believe that they are one of those companies. you can fluff it all you want, but in the end: "you know that i know that you know it shouldn't have happened, so fix it!" :)

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Uh, I drive and love my Tundra, but Toyota has taken it on the chin and some suggest they did exactly that hide the truth behind their recent recalls.

Yammaha did step up to the plate and when I pick up the boat, I will talk to the mechanic. He said to me he encountered something similar on a mid-size two stroke and Yammi replaced the powerhead.

It does not make sense at all to me and I just want to make sure it is not me....