Restoring Duratrim on Adventure

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi all,

I know there are already a few threads on how to restore the 'Duratrim' on GWs. (I'll put the other link below.) But for this post, I'd like to ask a question specific to my boat.

In the attached pictures, you can see the difference between the trim that has been protected by the helm cover (bottom of each pic) and the trim that has been exposed to constant sunlight in the cockpit (top of each pic). The first picture below shows the 'top' sides, and the second picture shows the 'back' sides. As you can see, the back sides are in rough shape too, so I don't think that flipping them will help. Besides, some of the pieces are cut in an asymmetric way that makes flipping them not an option.

From the other threads, I think that the best approach for the 'protected' piece would be to lightly sand it and then coat it with some Boeshield T-9 or Penetrol. And I think that the best approach for the 'exposed' piece would be to sand it down past the outer 'shell' later, to the material below, and then coat it with Boeshield T-9 or Penetrol?

Also, is there the option of just buying a new set, either from GW or from some aftermarket brand?

Thanks for any advice!

p.s. The smudge on the 'top' side of the bottom piece is not a fingerprint, so please don't think that it just needs a good dusting. Besides, I can't use the back sides since the pieces don't flip over symmetrically.

Old thread: http://www.greatgrady.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20765&start=0&hilit=trim+lousy.

Attachments

• IMG_0194.JPG
    IMG_0194.JPG
    511.9 KB · Views: 1,479
  • IMG_0195.JPG
    IMG_0195.JPG
    532.2 KB · Views: 1,478

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi friends,

I've got 80 views, but no advice! I'm guessing this means that the other thread (linked above) may have all the advice worth giving?

Thanks as always.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Penetrol and sanding will bring them back somewhat. I'd consider using the old pieces as patterns and replacing them with starboard in the GW Seafoam color. A local shop my be able to do it, or you can check with Fin-Addict Marine out of NC or Boat Outfitters out of FL.

fellinger

Reaction score
I am in the process of re-doing mine. I am in the middle of sanding all of my trim. I am going to color match (Jade green) to my new color scheme with PETTIT topside paint with epoxy. I had read success on here and spoke to the PETTIT company rep at a sales show who has done the same.

Good luck

Jas

Reaction score
I had a’97 Gulfstream with the old faux wood duratrim. I actually came to like the way it looked when I would polish them up with Penetrol. The faux wood popped and looked really good.

However after a couple of years of that even the Penetrol didn’t help. They just looked dull, faded and chalky.

Decided to take all of the faux wood trim off and painted them white. Used the high end marine enamel based paint. Primed them, light sanding and then 3 – 4 coats of the enamel paint. Came out great! Looked much cleaner and didn’t have to buy new toes holds or cut new molds. Depending on how good a job you do presume that they will last 4 – 5 years, before you’ll need to do some touch up. This turned out to be a better process than the every 3 month cycle I was in with Penetrol polishing.