Result of Yea or Nay on Removing Old Gas

langski93

Reaction score
Once again thanks to all who replied to my post about the 2 year old gas. This morning, I removed about 35 gallons of fuel after removing the fuel sending unit and using the coat hanger method of directing the siphon hose. I drained until I was getting too much air and eventually the siphon released. The lines and filters from the bulb forward have all been purged and replaced. I am crossing my fingers that with fresh fuel going in the tank, the most I will be left with will be changing out the main Yamaha filter (large blue one) if necessary.

I also changed out the seal on the sending unit. Piece of cake, though mark the holes as one poster warned as it is asymetrical. I noticed a teeny tiny hole that went all the way through like the screw holes and suspect it is some type of registration hole, as the original seal also had a hole the same size, but did not go all the way through the rubber. Both when aligned, showed how the seal should be seated due to it being asymetrical. No big deal, just made it more obvious.

Finally, removed my two batteries, one says 6/08 and the other is stamped 5/07, several years old I k ow, I know, but never were used more than a 10 times. All cells still covered in water, and checked the 07 and cells read charged (but low) and the 08 cells all indicated that I should recharge. I used a hydrometer (sp?). Brother in law says trickle charge and if they read as fully charged than have them load tested at a battery place. You guys ever hear of batteries being good with this many years behind them. Granted they were hardly used.

Have a great weekend. I hope to get out there someday.

grady23

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and change the filter. I can bet it has already been saturated.