Retractable Ski Pole

JeanneMarie

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
I have a new Freedom 235 with retractable ski pole in transom that is stuck in the down position. Anyone else have this problem and know how to fix ? Thanks

ilmmct

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
It is likely salt creating and adhesive layer on the lower tube. Try to tap on the ball with a rubber mallet and then gently twist the exposed upper ball and tube back and forth.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
While we are talking ski poles, is it possible to add one to a modern 228 with the baitwell in the transom?
Or has anyone tried attaching a rope to the hard top (is that a horrible idea?)

ilmmct

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I don’t know for the 228 but my CE 251, there is an aftermarket option with a ski pylon. Have you looked at this product:

Don’t use the tower as the anchor point.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Yes Lucky my last boat came with one , I took if off because it was in my way when fighting big fish and i don't use the boat for pulling tubes or skis.
Have a look at my post :: https://www.greatgrady.com/threads/wtb-2004-205-tournament-ski-pylon-hardware.29666/
That's what you want, unfortunately I'm in Sydney and not planing to fly to LA anytime soon due to Covid 19, otherwise I could get it to you. Check with your GW dealer he maybe able to tell you where you can get one from. On lesser boats without very strong transoms you need support brackets . The Seafarer has a horizontal 3"x2" across the transom this bracket bolts on that then you need to drill a hole on the top of the gunwale , the end result is one very strong pole .

Reactions: ilmmct

Mgindiancove

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
I have a new Freedom 235 with retractable ski pole in transom that is stuck in the down position. Anyone else have this problem and know how to fix ? Thanks
I have the same issue. Have had to use pliers and hammer to move the clasp while someone else puts downward pressure on the pylon to unlock. Love to know what solutions Anyone else has found.

JM321

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
I have a 235, push down on the pylon and hold, then push tab towards the starboard side, then release pylon.

Whazzup

Reaction score
Fisherman 216 here. What do you use to lubricate the pylon? Cleaning shaft with just water or salt away ?
thanks

ilmmct

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Water-based silicon would be my recommendation. I don’t have the ski pylon, but it is what is recommended for my trolling motor belt and what I use on various rowing apparatus that is exposed to salt and grit.

JKM

Reaction score
I have the same issue on our 235. Usually we can get it up again by pushing down and poping it up. Both the pole and the latch are stickly, so we use WD-40 or a silicon spray to free it up, whatever we have handy at the time. Try to lube it periodically when we are cleaning the boat since we don't use it but a couple of times during the year.

We clamp a pole holder to it to put a salmon fishing net into during fishing season.

Punchline Cap

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
I agree with JKM, squirt a little WD-40 on the catch and around the pole, pull the latch back and give the top of the pole a smack with a dead blow rubber mallet. It worked on mine.I also made a rod holder that clamps to the pole.

Attachments

• F7D1BB18-3D76-4006-BDCA-257F658A18E7.jpeg
    F7D1BB18-3D76-4006-BDCA-257F658A18E7.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19