Retrofitting fridge in a Sailfish

dencaw

Reaction score
Has anyone cut in a refridgerator into a Sailfish? I have a 1991 25' Sailfish and, like the rest of them, do not have a fridge in the galley sink cabinet. If you have, is there anything specific I need to watch for, type and size of fridge you may have installed, and perhaps pictures you have of the project? Any info. would be appreciated. Thanks, in advance.

Dennis

ahill

Reaction score
A number of people remove the refrigerator and convert the space to storage.
My ac unit is under the sink and there is still plenty of room for my refrigerator.
I used it a little when I first got the boat but now I just store stuff in it.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Why do you want the fridge? Unless you plan on extended stays would't a cooler be a better choice? I also have a '91, I'm thinking of adding a microwave (and a 12V coffee maker). Coolers will last all weekend but I miss a hot meal in the Fall.

dencaw

Reaction score
I leave the boat at a local yacht club and I would like to come down and already have a cold beer waiting for me as opposed to having to plan ahead and carry a cooler with me. A little thing for sure, but it would be nice.

Regarding the microwave, does your model have the drop down hotplate just above the entrance to the aft cabin? Man, that is a lot of space for one plate. I was thinking of gutting the box the hotplate is housed in and trying to figure out a way to get a microwave to fit in and have it be able to fold up like the hotplate does now. Coffee makers are small enough now where you can just keep one on the boat and just stow it away when not in use. Microwaves are a little more cumbersome...

Of course, if these are the biggest problems we have to deal with than I think we are doing just fine...

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I gutted the hot-plate box and use it for as storge for first-aide, I'm not sure it has enough depth for a microwave. If you get something to fit, post up some pics.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Up to '93 inclusive the galley was equipped with a drop down ice box and later redesigned for the fridge and microwave instead of storage in cabinet as an option. The galley was reshaped to allow a wider surface for the fridge, and the cabinet was made taller for the microwave.

I modified the galley to take a 0.5 cu ft nmicrowave and refrig, and recently an A/C under and between the hull wall and sink.

If you like projects, it will take you. The cabinet is too short and not deep enough, the micros today are 0.7 cu so taller. I had to cut out the back and make it deeper several inches to hull are available. And cut the top picture frame from the opening and much of the bottom too. Don't know if the taller 0.7s will fit or if you can find one at 0.6 will make it. Plenty of width. Last time I searched no more 0.5 cuft.

The fridge I'd never do again, instead get a kit to retrofit the ice box with the evaporator plate.
Had to cut open the entire face on that side and all the way up to top.
I used originally an expensive 12v marine fridge but it died so now have a 120VAC one as narrow as I could get it home type and run it off the inverter. I think it was 70 bucks. Works great. It has a heat pipe design, no compressor. The marine ones are narrower but mine just fits between sink and V berth side to side.
It gets the job done well and no noise.

We spend up to 4 days on boat so like a weekend house these things are the comforts and newer Sails have them. If you just fish, forget it.

The fuel stove took off the cabin wall and have a 19 in LCD TV, fits perfect.

Use a portable electric hot plate, Waring professional type, and this year a Foreman grill.

If you don't use the below berth, can anchor down a microwave and refrig in there in a few hours. AC unit too.

I also installed a vacuflush toilet and 14 gallon holding tank.

The vaccum generator/vacuum storage tank is behind the lower berth service wall.

The microwave in place of the fuel stove will stick out too much can't open head door and you will hit yourself on it. Unless you mean the tiny cube mics I see for dorm use. To run a microwave need plenty of battery power since mic is 700W I believe, somthing like 80 or more amps at 12VDC. So making soup hot or hot coffee is fine since short duration. I tie all the batts together and run one motor when doing so on the water.