Returning To Dock Questions

johnnyboy

Reaction score
Morning all; Happy palm sunday to all whom celebrate it. Being a twin screw owner previously, I used to back down when mooring up but know that twin outboards is a little similar to an I/O. How do you guys pull in? My captain who drove my boat back basically said turn wheel before engaging engines and swing it similar to an I/O (Bow in). I know the engines are too close to use the sticks, anyone else use other methods? Thanks for your help!! :hmm

cgmiller

Reaction score
John,

Where as you will not get the same slow speed handling of a twin screw inboard, you can get similar "movement" from the boat with twin outboards...you can still work one against the other and get similar handling...just take your time and practice,,that is the best advise I could give...GO SLOW...

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
johnnyboy said:
I know the engines are too close to use the sticks..

I can twist our Islander in a circle in her own length. Easy to do. Just make sure the engines are trimmed out a bit, not tucked under all the way.

Brian

Salinity Now

Reaction score
Brian, great tip on the tilt up a bit, Im still VERY much learning the tricks to my 265, having come from a single engine deepV, to the twins, and much bigger sail area, this boat pivots alot differently.

Im used to full trim for docking, I'll give that a try next time out.

johnnyboy

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. My captain said when docking make sure the engines are fully trimmed down. I guess everyone has their own method :hmm

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
When the engines are trimmed all the way down, some of the prop wash from the engine in reverse hits the bottom of the transom, greatly reducing the effective astern thrust from that engine. Just try with the engines about two or three bars up.

Just go find some quiet spot away from the docks, or anything else, and try twisting in both directions.

Last tip: Get the engines opposed at slightly above idle speed. Only use one throttle, increasing or decreasing it as needed to stop any headway or sternway. I tend to rotate CCW, so I leave the stbd engine ahead and only adjust the port engine - easy to turn a 180* in own length.

Good luck.

Brian

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
cgmiller said:
John,

just take your time and practice,,that is the best advise I could give...GO SLOW...

Good advice here - the time to learn is not when it is blowing 20 knots, a rain storm coming and two kids and a grumpy wife below deck.

In other words just pratice, nice and slow, dont worry if you have to make multiple attemps to get into the slip, abort early in the slip entry process if things are not perfect -

I back my 265 into the slip with no issues single handed - piece of cake

And it will get to be the same for you after a season or two.

Good luck

Tim