Reupholstering all seats and coaming bolsters

Davpet60

Reaction score
Winter project is reupholstering all seats and bolsters on my 2006 282 sailfish. Gentleman doing the upholstery, says he can't do the arm rest on the captain and passenger seats, because its not an upholstery covering. Makes sense.

I talked with Grady today, and discovered that arm rest is no longer available. So.. plan B. The boat is going to look great, but any idea’s on what to do about those nasty armrest?

Also.. found out the bolster clips are $16 A PIECE!!! Anyone found a cheaper solution?? :hmm

Thanks…

seasick

Reaction score
Davpet60 said:
Winter project is reupholstering all seats and bolsters on my 2006 282 sailfish. Gentleman doing the upholstery, says he can't do the arm rest on the captain and passenger seats, because its not an upholstery covering. Makes sense.

I talked with Grady today, and discovered that arm rest is no longer available. So.. plan B. The boat is going to look great, but any idea’s on what to do about those nasty armrest?

Also.. found out the bolster clips are $16 A PIECE!!! Anyone found a cheaper solution?? :hmm

Thanks…

Find out who made the seats and ask the manufacturer directly. Worst case is buying a replacement seat.

What happened to the original bolster clips? I assume you are referring to the ones that the back of the bolster hangs on. If they look like mine, you could probably have a similar piece made up in SS by a metal shop. Cost each would depend on how many of course. You could probably bend them and drill them yourself. Just make sure you us SS stock

Sharkbait282

Reaction score
Re: armrest covers, I've actually been strongly considering attempting a milled, solid wood armrest cover that would slide over and screw to the existing plastic grid-like armrest base. SWMBO is not convinced yet, so that's on hold. There's another tactic out there that includes a medium sized athletic sock slipped over the cover, so that it 1) looks clean and 2) doesn't grab your t-shirt every time you walk by. Other people cut the arms off entirely . . .

Totally agree that any decent metal shop should be able to fabricate a stainless stock copy of the bolster clips. Were your bolster clips that degraded that they couldn't be re-used? On our 2002 282, once the bolsters came off this fall, the clips were revealed to be in nearly new condition. I took them off to clean, polish and wax the surfaces while the pads were off, but then I put the clips right back on, OEM fasteners and all.

Bob.

go fish

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
How many clips you need? I have a few laying around. Send me a text 252-717-0615.

Davpet60

Reaction score
go fish said:
How many clips you need? I have a few laying around. Send me a text 252-717-0615.

Thanks everyone... when I pulled the bolsters off, some where rusted, I'll run over and check how many I need replaced.

Thanks again...

rpc

Reaction score
Check Ebay for the arm rest. I'm not sure of the color or the chair you have, but there are 2 listings for them.

Surely Bassey

Reaction score
FWIW I found an upholstery shop in Queens NY that does an incredible quality and Fair priced job. He did the seat on my Mercedes, I then brought him every cushion and combing bolsters from my 228.
What impressed me the most was his ability to use original spec or better marine quality materials.
He has craftsman working for him.
Boat is 14 years old and looks about 2 years old.

G

gradydaniele

what did it run you to replace the cushions from the guy in Queens? whats the name of the place?

Surely Bassey

Reaction score
He did all my cabin cushions, combing bolsters and replaced the isinglass on my windows. We even did different gauge (thickness) of isinglass depending if the window rolled up or not. His work was so good I kept rebuilding the boat. Even replaced the zippers with the same type although the larger size for the enclosure panels. Name of the place is McCoys. Ask for Johnny. He's a regular guy. Number is (718) 458-5800
I believe the forward cushions were like $300
PS I have no financial interest in the place at all and all of my stuff is done for another 10 years...

Jambo

Reaction score
I just had the vinyl remade for my Tournament 225 remade by CopyCat Upholstery (296 Silverado St, Tavares, FL 32778 - 888-599-9366, sales@copycatupholstery.com, www.copycatupholstery.com). I was responsible for removing the vinyl from my bolsters and seats (hundreds of staples) and sending to CopyCat. They, in turn, copied the original vinyl and sent back to me. I then stretched the new vinyl over the bare foam and backing boards and restapled. The result is very good. I am not sure I saved much over an upholstery shop ($1,150 for all eight bolsters recovered including embroidery), but I do know the materials are first rate, the workmanship great, customer service exceptional, and the work done right and on my time. I'm now having my rear jump seat redone and I expect that will be very nice as well. The picture attached does not really do justice to the work. It was taken mid-stream during restoration.
A couple of notes: 1. A staple puller (Amazon) is essential. Many staples need removal from the originals. 2. Monel staples are important. Rust free.

Attachments

• IMG_3644.jpg
    IMG_3644.jpg
    538 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

JAdams1

Reaction score
I just removed the front bolster covers on my 2007 Tournament 205 and I can attest to a lot of staples. I am getting a seam restitched. I may have to get reupholstered someday so thanks for posting.

Jambo

Reaction score
You're welcome. My bolster top edge began to deteriorate about 2 years ago and then went downhill in a hurry. Splitting seams is the beginning of the end, at least for me. I am considering covering my boat with a full cover going forward as I think baking while sitting in the slip is not helpful at all.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
1550337149536.png

I never tried this, but another owner tip was to buy low cut champion socks and they fit perfectly. They said the socks feel better than the rubber and they don't have that annoying shirt grab every time you walk by them!

Eltajin

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
FWIW I found an upholstery shop in Queens NY that does an incredible quality and Fair priced job. He did the seat on my Mercedes, I then brought him every cushion and combing bolsters from my 228.
What impressed me the most was his ability to use original spec or better marine quality materials.
He has craftsman working for him.
Boat is 14 years old and looks about 2 years old.
He did all my cabin cushions, combing bolsters and replaced the isinglass on my windows. We even did different gauge (thickness) of isinglass depending if the window rolled up or not. His work was so good I kept rebuilding the boat. Even replaced the zippers with the same type although the larger size for the enclosure panels. Name of the place is McCoys. Ask for Johnny. He's a regular guy. Number is (718) 458-5800
I believe the forward cushions were like $300
PS I have no financial interest in the place at all and all of my stuff is done for another 10 years...
Bumping this old thread to thank this poster for putting them on my radar. McCoy's just redid all of my vinyl on a Canyon 336 (3 helm chairs, all bolsters, back fold down bench, all cushions) and everything looks and feels better than new. Took less than two weeks. Great people (run by Sean now I believe), and price seemed fair to me for crafstmanship and marine materials used (e.g., helm chair rebuilds were ~1/2 of what new LLebrocs run). One drawback is they are not mobile and you have to bring everything to the shop, but then again, you get to see the classic car vinyl they are working on while there.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The seats are probably Pompanette. You may be able to clean the armrests up and re-paint them.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Pretty easy to do yourself and if not that handy just some of them.