REUPHOLSTERING BOLSTERS

steviedatsun

Reaction score
Guys, need some information. Just took off bolsters on my 208 adventure, now where can I get the material to cover the new bolsters. I live on Staten Island, N.Y., and I would prefer to go to N.J. to purchase the material. Thanks guys

seasick

Reaction score
I did mine a few years ago. I had to order online and from several vendors. My order included the vinyl both pleated and non pleated, matched cording, perforated mesh for the bottom and dry fast foam. In addition you will need a box of monel staples, not stainless. I had to get those online also. An electric or pneumatic stapler is needed. I also had an industrial sewing machine. Add some brass grommets and a lot of work ( My bolsters are curved around the back area). I made mine match the originals exactly.
I figure at that time, it cost me about 300-350 for materials. I had purchased a walking foot sewing machine used for another 450. It was a fairly laborious and challenging job and I would probably NOT do it again. My buddy had his bolsters redone for about 500 and they looked good.
Note that the OEM foam is not self draining and when you open the bolsters you will probably find mold. Grady wrapped the foam in plastic but that degrades and rips over time. The new foam (Dry Fast or something like that) I used does not hold water ( or contact cement for that mater:)) but it is pretty expensive stuff.
If you want to know where I got my supplies, I will try to see if I still have the invoices.

steviedatsun

Reaction score
S.S., I am not going to do the job myself, I would just like to know where to get the best materials. Thankyou very much, any help will be greatly appreciated. Steve

grady23

Reaction score
Contact A & J Canvas in Vanceboro, NC. They just did a new set of curtains for me at a great price. They do all of Grady's work as well. 252-244-1509. Freight to and from may be cheaper than a local shop.

eppem

Reaction score
I needed fabric for my 265 a few years ago (had a shop do the work). Called GW and they gave me the name of the shop that they use (I forget the name). Because they know the boat, they know exactly how much to send and what kind, even down to the GW logo on my transom. Looks great and I good buddy of mine suggested that I buy enough material for the job to be done twice in case I need more or damage a bolster fishing....

seasick

Reaction score
If you want the bolsters to look like original, you need three four materials. Seaquest roll and pleated vinyl for the main areas, Seaquest plain vinyl for the outside end caps and inside corners and Seaquest welting for the borders and edges. On the bottom of the bolsters there is a vented mesh that allows moisture to drain. That is called Phifertex Vinyl Mesh. You put the grommets in the mesh and use those holes for the mounting screws. I also used dryfast foam since it does not absorb water.
The vinyls are available from the Fabric Warehouse and the mesh I got from Sailrite.
Many shops will make the bolsters using the pleated material only and it looks OK but it is not like the original.

I used the Seaquest CHALK color but there is another off white that may a closer match to your seat cushions. I can't tell the difference but then again, I don't see colors all that well:)

seasick

Reaction score
megabytes said:
About how much was the fabric? Labor?
I spent about $300 for all materials. I got more foam than needed but that was the smallest amount that I could buy(1/2 sheet of 4 inch) I also have material left over for the pleat, flat and mesh.
I did the sewing myself. It wasn't easy.
That said, a friend of mine had bolsters redone for his cruiser. That ran about $500 for the two bolsters and that looked pretty good. I don't know if the foam was resused. The dryfasy foam is pretty expensive.
I am not sure I would do it again:)

ralph85

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I don't know how to subscribe, so i'm posting

Finest Kind

Reaction score
Nautical Canvas in Point Pleasant NJ does excellent work. Bought my replacement bolsters from them several years ago. Great workmanship, nice folks to deal with, and reasonable prices.
Ask for Mike.

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I had all mine done last year on my 272 including the curved backrest on the transom. I have a local upholstery guy I have used for several projects, he charged either $350 materials and labor, I brought the old ones to him. I could not have been happier with the result, they look factory.

Talk to people in the area and I am sure there is someone similar around. I never would have found this guy myself, he is in a small shop on a side street, but he does great work!

ralph85

Reaction score
Firemedic, do you have the guys number or do you remember the name of the place. I just got quoted $850 complete for the two side bolsters (one with curve), the rear seat back (curved and complex) and the transom door bolster for my Voyager. I'm at the NY/CT boarder and can't find too many places that do this kind of work. If these things were simple, I'd do it myself, but they are very complex. As Seasick stated above, there are multiple types of fabric and mesh, plus the corner trim, all of which needs to be sewed. And the curved corners need custom work too.