Rhodan, Garmin or Minn Kota? What size Trolling Motor for my Trophy Pro?

Finest Kind

Reaction score
Planning to install a trolling motor upgrade on the Finest Kind this fall...will be used most of the time to spot-lock while jigging over shallow reefs and wrecks for Snapper and Grouper, and deep dropping for Blackbelly Rosefish, Snowy Grouper and Tilefish.

Options are:
The 87" Minn Kota (longest they make) but not sure if it will be long enough? Need to have enough shaft length to maintain "bite" in moderate seas, wind and heavy current.
I'm hoping someone on this site can tell me that the 87" would work, because the pricing here is over a thousand bucks less than the other options!

The new 90" Garmin Kraken has great features but although Garmin says release of product is "October" it's not yet available...and again, is 90" enough?

Or should I go with the 96" Rhodan?

Anyone have some insight to help guide me onto the right course?
Note my 1988 Trophy Pro 25 is exactly the same hull as the Sailfish.

Last edited:

Finest Kind

Reaction score
I installed the 84 in 36 volt on my 86 Sailfish. Only came off anchor mode a few times in 3 seasons due to big swells. Pretty happy with performance in high current .View attachment 31759
Thank you for the much needed feedback. That's a Rhodan right?
I'm glad to hear the 84" works for you on your hull, should work on mine too.

Based on some measurements I've just taken on my buddy's 87 Trophy Pro, it looks like there is 44" from the top of the gunnel to the water line while docked.
The Rhodan website formula is bow height (44") plus 24", plus half of the wave height you expect to fish in (using a 4' swell that would be 24") = shaft length. so, 44+24+24 = 92", next size up is 96".
The Minn Kota site says for a bow height up to 44" use the 72" model, and for bow heights over 45" use the 87" model.
So I guess I'd be ok with either.

Are you using multiple batteries or one 36 volt LiFePo4?
Where did you mount the batteries?

Salute to another Classic Grady Captain....An 86 and She is still lookin good!

deepwaterdreamer111

Reaction score
I used 1 36 volt battery. So far so good. I use the charger that came with it and just charge the battery back up while cleaning the boat up after a trip. I have had zero issues with this setup.cabin.jpgI installed a in line battery switch and 50 amp breaker .