Model
Sailfish
Anyone installed a Rhodan on a 272/282 Sailfish? If so please post some pics

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Searching for the one post I saw a while back where someone made a custom plate and mounted on the under side of the bow pulpit and Rhodan was to the side of the pulpit, but can't seem to find that post. I thought it was on the grady site.

I too wonder by now if anyone has mounted one on a Sailfish model?

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
It is easy to install on a flat bow, but still no one with a sailfish install?

jsdull

Reaction score
First pic is on a 300 Marlin I found on this forum I believe. The other 2 are my 2005 282 Sailfish. Sorry I don’t have a good pic of motor on bow mount. 96” rhodan. I found it too heavy and cumbersome to use without cutting bow rail- haven’t finished removable rail section yet. Love it- no going back to anchor.9193F3B1-ADAC-41C1-B140-B4F4479413B4.jpeg7D661208-AF0A-43A7-9129-051B2CEC9331.jpegD8BFC899-5BE5-454A-B12D-7305FF9ECD0A.jpeg

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks jsdull! Good pics and like how it lays in there. I like this better than making a plate to mount under the pulpit. Just seems easier to do. I need to collect the information on how to do the rail cutout and parts list/source to add to my plan.

I also wonder about the batteries. If going with the LifePO4, get 3 36v 100ah batteries? Seems some have gone with less Ah batteries and wonder how the hold up and charge state at end of day with currents/winds/waves.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Forgot to ask, how to resolve the issue of blocking the nav light?

jsdull

Reaction score
Forgot to ask, how to resolve the issue of blocking the nav light?
I went with 3 100AH 12 volt optima batteries mounted in the footspace under table. We never sit at our table and keep it in the lowered position. Price kept me from 36 volt lithium and I like the idea of grabbing one of the 12 volts in a pinch if I had a dead cranking battery offshore. My plan for the rail is a short section of SS tubing one size larger to use as a coupling sleeve with pull pins on the aft cut. The front end of rail has an internal sleeve the rail section fits over. Ive seen nice hinged units also. Yes the navigation light is blocked so it should be relocated or an additional one added for navigation at night or adverse weather.

jsdull

Reaction score
I went with 3 100AH 12 volt optima batteries mounted in the footspace under table. We never sit at our table and keep it in the lowered position. Price kept me from 36 volt lithium and I like the idea of grabbing one of the 12 volts in a pinch if I had a dead cranking battery offshore. My plan for the rail is a short section of SS tubing one size larger to use as a coupling sleeve with pull pins on the aft cut. The front end of rail has an internal sleeve the rail section fits over. Ive seen nice hinged units also. Yes the navigation light is blocked so it should be relocated or an additional one added for navigation at night or adverse weather.
Oh yea, my batteries hold up to a full day fishing if its a good day (1-2’s with light wind). 3-4’s and windy about half a day. Those days are better spent tucked behind the island with friends.

Trogdor

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi - not a Rhodan, but I have a Mini Kota on my 272 Sailfish. Image attached. They mounted it across the bow, with a cut out in the stainless bow rail (a pin holds it shut, and you can flip it open to create a gap so the Minn Kota can auto stow and deploy. I use a 36v lithium battery. It holds well inshore as well as offshore on calmer days, but offshore in stronger winds and currents it can struggle especially when there is a bit of swell and the prop comes out of the water.

We had an issue that after a few hours of hard work the battery would die and the auto stow wouldn't work (motor would get stuck down) but we've since added a DC/DC charger off both motors to re-feed the lithium while at sea, so since then touch wood no problems.

Its very handy but it does feel like its getting to the point where the boat is a touch big for the motor.

Attachments

• MinnKota.jpg
    MinnKota.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 23