RI Fishtraps

Lefty

Reaction score
Hello all,

Does anyone in the S. Mass/RI area have any knowlege of navigating the fishtrap areas in and around Newport, RI and the Sakonnett River? I do some boating in these areas and have heard so many horror stories of boaters getting caught up in these evil things that I have been avoiding the areas alltogether. I often see boats inside the so-called fishtrap areas on my GPS chart, and I know that in theory they are marked by radar reflecting flags. Anyone out there with intimate knowlege of these fishtraps?

Thanks -

ksgoldman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I have a summer home on the Sakonnet River where I keep my boat and trust me when I tell you that the fish traps are the bane of my existence. The regulations require four radar reflecting bouys (high flyers) but all too often they aren't there. I have contacted the State of Rhode Island on numerous occasions and they have been pretty good about trying to enforce the rules but it's not always a top priority.

What I can warn you is to look very carefully for the beginning and end of the string as it can be very tricky to see where there is a spot to cut through (as sometimes two strings will be in a row with only a narrow passage to make it through).

Just go slowly and make sure you can see clear water. I've seen a few boats lose their outdrives or get completely tangled. The ones off Newport sometimes require you to head a few miles out of your way.

Good luck - see you on the water.