Riding Out Isais in a Hurricane Hole

Cregan13

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
This will be my first storm with a wet-slipped boat. I have neither a trailer nor a truck sufficient to pull my 330 Express out, and all the yards are booked up for haul outs. I will be taking it up the Cape Fear River and then down Smith Creek where one of the yards has a dedicated hurricane hole in front of their facility. They are going to help get me anchored and tied in. Obviously the outriggers, enclosure, etc., are coming off. What else do you all suggest I do to the boat itself?

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
If you are not on a mooring buoy, I'd use two anchors placed about 30-45 degrees apart. Use chafing gear on the rodes and use as much chain and scope as the cleared area permits. The boat should be fine if not in open water. I'd remove all cushions and bolsters as well. I think I'd leave the motors down to slow yaw and make sure you have fully charged batteries. Good luck!

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I agree that fully charged batteries are a must. I would also check the automatic bilges to be sure they are super reliable.

Reactions: magicalbill

Three

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Put out as many anchors as you can in all directions. Set them with as much rode out as possible. Less work and cheaper to take down and put away, than to repair and buy new. If you have some help with a smaller boat to set the anchors all the better. Also I wouldn't lock the boat if someone is out and around if they see a problem they can peek down below. I would put your antennas down but not flat to the deck at 90 degree angle.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Put out as many anchors as you can in all directions. Set them with as much rode out as possible. Less work and cheaper to take down and put away, than to repair and buy new. If you have some help with a smaller boat to set the anchors all the better. Also I wouldn't lock the boat if someone is out and around if they see a problem they can peek down below. I would put your antennas down but not flat to the deck at 90 degree angle.

question, would you not want the boat to have some swing? the wind and waves would tend to push the bow into the wind and the stern aft. I would think having the bow into the wind is a good thing as the bow will absorb and deflect wave energy better than say broadside or the stern. Good luck. It's likely to be a strong tropical storm by the time it gets your way.

Three

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
question, would you not want the boat to have some swing? the wind and waves would tend to push the bow into the wind and the stern aft. I would think having the bow into the wind is a good thing as the bow will absorb and deflect wave energy better than say broadside or the stern. Good luck. It's likely to be a strong tropical storm by the time it gets your way.
Its like a spider web effect. She is free to move about in the web. The rode typically has plenty of stretch in in.

Cregan13

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Got it up there today. I am tied in a spider web fashion between two floating barges on pilings. Got 8 lines on her. In addition to being 7 or so miles inland, and down a small creek, she is sitting a good 15 to 20 feet below the surrounding land. The Cape Fear River Pilot boats are next to me, and they are spending the night on them. Guy took my number and told me he would keep an eye on her for me. That lowered the stress level a bit knowing someone will be there.

Other than the fact that everything around me is made of steel, I think she's is a good spot. Hope to have her out of there and headed south on the river by 10:30 tomorrow. Knock on wood.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Be safe......tell us when you make it thru. I rode out Hurricane Hugo... much bigger ship, but it is not fun. Sounds like you have a lot of experienced people around you and that helps keep you safer, but let us know how you are afterwards. Be safe and we will be thinking of you.

Oh, wait.. you are not ON her for it.. ok.. well, hope SHE makes it thru .. lol

R

Cregan13

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
She made it through just fine. We just brought her back down the river and over to our dock on the ICW. Ironically, after surviving the storm unscathed, we hit a submerged log it the river. Not a sound I ever want to hear again. Luckily everything is still running fine except for the speedometer. We made the last 18 miles without issue. If the only issue I had through all of this is needing to fix the speedometer, I'll take it.

If you want to see a nightmare, google "Southport Marina," and look at the news stories.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady