Rigging an outrigger

Deep Blue

Reaction score
My Sailfish has Lee outriggers, when I purchased the boat last year I noticed the cords and fittings were pretty ratty but left it for now. I talked to Lee's Tackle (the manufacturer) yesterday about what kit I'd need, they were really helpful but surprisingly didn't have a manual or instructions for how to rig an outrigger. What I need to know is how to setup the outrigger and also how to fish with them. I'm completely new to fishing if you haven't guessed. Can anybody point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

SirGrady226

Reaction score
My Sailfish has Lee outriggers, when I purchased the boat last year I noticed the cords and fittings were pretty ratty but left it for now. I talked to Lee's Tackle (the manufacturer) yesterday about what kit I'd need, they were really helpful but surprisingly didn't have a manual or instructions for how to rig an outrigger. What I need to know is how to setup the outrigger and also how to fish with them. I'm completely new to fishing if you haven't guessed. Can anybody point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.
If you do a google search for rigging outriggers, many videos will come up that are helpful, you can watch them many times over to really learn how it's done. I just purchased Taco riggers and watched the video to make sure I did it correctly. Fishing with them is a no brainer, it's basically a clothes line that you rotate to attach your fishing line to, and rotate it back to the top once you have the line clipped in place. The poles rotate out to spread the lines wide enough so you can run other lines inside of them so they avoid tangles.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
This should give you a (some) idea(s). It's a double rig. You should start with a single. There are small things people do a little different, ie different clips, anchor point, cord vs mono etc. Google and read......

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Highly recommend using New England Ropes Spyderline 1.8mm and Hal Lock pulleys. I also used Harken 16mm air blocks (doubles and singles as appropriate) which make the lines run so much smoother than just putting them through the eyelets on most outriggers. For the release clips, I highly recommend Aftco roller trollers -- they allow you to reel your lures in for adjusting without releasing and are much easier on your lines than wire clips.

Last tip is to use a Taut-line hitch to tie off the halyards. Makes it easy to adjust the length and tension and doesn't require threading the line through the barrel swivels.

I have mine double rigged with two different colors of spyderline.

Oh one last tip: Carbon fiber poles all the way. I have last-gen Lee's which were surprisingly inexpensive considering!