Ring Free $27.99 a quart!

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
Stopped by Derby Cycles in Shelbyville, Ky on my way Lake Cumberland Saturday and picked up a quart of Ring Free for $27.99.
Here is their web site - www.derbycycles.com
Address is 117 Washington Street, Shelbyville, KY. 40065
Phone - 502-633-7100
Fax 502-633-0508

I have no financial relationship or ties to them other than being a customer. Just wanted to pass along what I thought was a good deal on Ring Free.

gradywhiteman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ring Free

I just read your post and it's the first time I have heard about Ring Free. Is this something you use for routine maintenence or is it to free stuck rings?

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Its a Yamaha product that they recommend you use at every fillup. A poll of folks on this board, and other forums, would probably find a general consensus that the stuff works. Personally, I've used it for years and every motor I've ever sold has passed a compression test with flying colors.

The price of Ring Free has shot up in recent months....my dealer here gets close to $40 for a quart. $28 is a good deal.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Re: Ring Free

gradywhiteman said:
I just read your post and it's the first time I have heard about Ring Free. Is this something you use for routine maintenence or is it to free stuck rings?

Two questions:

1) Do you have a Yamaha outboard?

2) If so, have you read the Owner's Manual?

:wink:

Brian

gradywhiteman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ring Free

No, I don't have a Yamaha just an old Johnson with low compression in one cylinder, looking for a miracle cure.

30marlin

Reaction score
capt chris said:
Stopped by Derby Cycles in Shelbyville, Ky on my way Lake Cumberland Saturday and picked up a quart of Ring Free for $27.99.
Here is their web site - www.derbycycles.com
Address is 117 Washington Street, Shelbyville, KY. 40065
Phone - 502-633-7100
Fax 502-633-0508

I have no financial relationship or ties to them other than being a customer. Just wanted to pass along what I thought was a good deal on Ring Free.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THATS A LOW PRICE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this the new E-10 formula?
It might just have to order a case.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander

gradywhiteman said:
No, I don't have a Yamaha just an old Johnson with low compression in one cylinder, looking for a miracle cure.

Ringfree can be used in "shock treatment" mode to see if it will loosen up sticky rings. Make sure you have a new set of plugs available.

Some folks use Sea Foam for the same sort of shock treatment. http://www.seafoamsales.com/products.html

Brian

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Shock treatment is 1 oz per 1 gallon. The normal ratio is 1 oz for 10 gallons.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you are going to shock treat the motor, then get yourself a small o/b gas tank (3 or 6 gallon)...add a gallon of fuel and an oz of ringfree, and hook the fuel line to the inlet side of your water separator.

Start the motor up and let it run for a few minutes, sucking fuel from the portable tank into the engine.

Then, let it sit for a bit while you reconnect your fuel line from the main tank. Finally, take the boat out and run it hard (WOT) for a few minutes to clear out the carbon.

jaydub

Reaction score
Great price but I checked their website and it's $8 a quart for shipping. Wish I lived closer...

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Go to the nearlest Yamaha motorcycle/watersport/offroad (anything but marine)supply shop, and check there.

grady23

Reaction score

gradywhiteman said:
The stuff is made to reduce carbon build up. I use sea foam and it's much cheaper and does the same thing. Yamaha is selling high priced snake oil in my opinion. Yes it works, but it's way too expensive when Sea Foam wil do the same for much less.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yep, Seafoam does really work but more expensive. I emailed Seafoam about using 1oz/10-gal and they said no dice. I just ordered my $28 bottle of Ring Free. Thanks for the tip Capt Chris! As far as getting it from a Yami Motorcycle dealer, nobody stocks it around here.