Ringfree

Southern Hunter

Reaction score
My mechanic came and serviced my Yamaha F250's and made the comment that I should start using Ringfree, so I went out and bought some and since the motors already had 150 or so hours on it I did a shock treatment because I had never decarboned the engines before. Well Now I am realizing that the bottle says that after using a shock treatment you should change the oil and I have heard people say to change the plugs too.....whats the purpose of this? I just had my engines serviced on my boat and only have put 20 or so hours on it since then, and I hate to get my mechanic back down to change plugs and oil because I usually only do it every 100 hours or so and hate to pay the $$$ to get him back down here to do it.....is this something that I should be worried about doing....what kinds of repercussions would I face if not???

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you had any carbon on the cylinders on the bottom (past where the rings travel) it may have come off and wind up in the oil. How does the oil look? Maybe change the filter? As far as plugs go, I have a 2-stroke and they look great after the shock.

After spending $15K for an engine, I can understand wanting to do everything to keep it healthy but how often do you put ringfree in your car/truck? The F's have an O2 sensor and run the fuel mixture in closed loop just like a car and the thermostat will modulate to keep the block at good operating temperature. A little carbon builds up when idling but cruise or WOT blows that out.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
At 150 hrs do you think a shock treatment is necessary?

But since you shocked already, I would change the oil and then see how it runs before doing the plugs.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
JUST-IN-TIME, if i have to shock yearly, do i change the oil after i shock the fuel and use it ? and how long after i use the boat?
I always put ring free with every fill up if that makes a difference to shock yearly or not.
Thanks.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
you should de-carb (shock) yearly on any motor, even your cars
ring free helps reduce carbon but does not stop all of it

The changing the oil thing is what i was never taught in training, maybe because some washes on the cylinder wall

Your supposed to change oil in winterization, so that would be a great time to shock

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Not to muddy the waters...but I use Amsoil Performance Improver (PI) to keep fuel fresh and to decarbon the motor. If no use is planned for more than a few weeks I add STABIL to the fuel as well.

250 hours and the motor is spotless inside. I can't check the ring grooves, but the plugs and piston crown is like new. I also add PI to the cars about ever 3-4K miles. Keeps the injectors clean and the idle is smooth on them.

Ringfree was developed for the DI two-strokes to keep the O2 sensor clean. Naturally it made sense to recommend it for the new four strokes to reduce carbon deposits. Once a year seems ample for a shock with ringfree.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
JIT, thank you.

You bet

Soon, once i get this Nor-Cali Grady club going (waiting for the SLOW! dealer)
I will do write ups with extensive pics
It will all be available here on this site only!

ddog

Reaction score
CJBROWN said:
Ringfree was developed for the DI two-strokes to keep the O2 sensor clean.

The development of ringfree actually predates DI two strokes by at least 10 years or so. We were selling it at the Yamaha dealership where I worked in the early 1990's. It was initially marketed for two stroke products- PWC, outboards and dirt bikes. It is a highly concentrated version of Chevrons Techron fuel additive.

Neckerindux

Reaction score
My Grady dealer has ringfree and store and start added to the fuel tanks, I get a steady dose, and have never had a fuel problem.