Rinsing Fuel Tank storage area

kendcc

Reaction score
Hi folks, Quick question. I have a '05 226 and when reading the manual it says to rinse the fuel tank storage area periodocially. Can you do this through the access plates?? I'm hoping you don't actually have to remove the panels that cover the tank.... Can you just open the acces plates and flush thoroughly with fresh water??

I'd be appreciative for anyone to share how to properly "rinse the tank storage area".

Many thanks...

(oh, btw, hooked up with my 1st striper last Thu...was a 44" beast and very tasty on the grill!!!)

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
NA2P said:
When the boat is out of the water you can take the hatch covers off and give everything a good cleaning /inspection than and do any needed reapirs. Pete

I took mine off while the boat was in the water. Didn't seem to be a problem.... :D :D :D

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That's an interesting factory recommendation, I'd like to see the detailed factory procedure to implement it.

You are effectively rinsing the bilge spaces and bulkhead drains with fresh water, doesn't do anything for cleaning bottom of tank.

I guess they want to avoid cases where drains get clogged and the compartment fills up.

Grady doesn't recommend O ring servicing of deck plates along with the rinse?
Keeping the top of the tank dry is very important, the bottom doesn't have much choice if the bilge water height rises, and not rise is needed.

Gary M

Reaction score
BobP said:
That's an interesting factory recommendation, I'd like to see the detailed factory procedure to implement it.

I'm on my third Grady and have never heard of this procedure. Although I can see the logic to it, I've always tried to keep everything below decks, dry. I do pull off the deck plates, clean them, clean what I can on top of the tanks and then leave everything open all day to dry it all out.

I'd like to hear more about this as well......

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
And spraying a hose around the fuel sender penetration and fuel pickups is not a good idea. This sender seal is not so substantial.

that's why a procedure is important.

Some guys who don't know better may take the 2000 psig pressure washer to it, even worse.

It may a be a legal CYA statement from the law department to cover future claims associated with premature tank failures, fires, enviromental spills, etc. The tank manufacturer's label on tank reads " inspect fuel system regularly" , can't read it unless floor cover is pulled. But tank manuf. is covered.

That's why no procedure is included. Unfortunately for Grady, it's easy to beat back in court, meaningless. How are we owners supposed to know how to do what is meant ??

Like the sign at the service station shop that reads: we are not responsible for your car or it's contents and cannot be held liable."

While the car is in their care, of course they are, silly fools!!

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Here's what Grady told me (agreement is NOT required): The neoprene gasketing material does NOT deteriorate to any extent (my 22 year old stuff hadn't), nor does it absorb water in and of itself (my 22 year old stuff wouldn't). When saltwater intrudes below the hatch, for whatever reason, the wedge gaskets can trap it and eventually lead to tank failures from salt corrosion. Assuming there are only deck plate leaks (not actual hatch leaks), rinsing thru those plates should dissolve any salt accumulations from neoprene gaskets on the sides of the section where the access plate is located and greatly reduce salt induced corrosion. You're not rinsing or cleaning the whole tank, but only those areas where deck plate leakage would occur. There should be no reason to directly spray the sender, even though it would likely suffer from saltwater intrusion if the access plate leaks and wouldn't die from light rinsing. I also plug the drain and get enough fresh water in there to rinse the bottom of the tank in the process. If you want to clean up the compartment some, put a bottle of Simple Green (or whatever) in the bilge and take it for a ride, drain and rinse as desired.

The recomendation given me was to rinse at least twice a year. Works for me, your results may vary ... :wink:

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Even more interesting.

Deck plate seals are critical, at least for the top of the tank to keep it dry.

The (minor) damage I've seen on my 16 yr old tanks was galvanic damage, the pits, not the white stuff, and only under strips, a few, mostly on the tank bottom. I cleaned the areas and applied a full bed of lifeseal to the neoprene to the tank where it was to begin with, before putting the tanks back in boat. Now the neoprene joint is waterproof. I didn't have any pits at the wedge neoprene. Some pits on top cross member neoprene. And Grady used steel rusty staples on the top neoprene that left rust staines on the tank, talk about galnavic opportunity, but no, perhaps because it was dry.

And pits were more on rear aux tank than main.

All the tanks had was a thin coat of grey primer that came off in spots readily when I cleaned the surface, they were very dirty.

Grady just layed the strips on the subfloor and dropped the tank in place. I also had some pits under the sender neoprene gaskets, when the new corprene gaskets went in, I fully bedded the new gasket to the tank and sender flange.

Waterproof = galvanic damage-proof IMHO.

The white stuff is self protecting, I had little, and meaningless to metal thickness lost. The white stuff looks a lot worse than it really is.
The pits are like driiling small holes. No dust present, the metal was removed to something else. They can be a lot worse than they look.

Once salt deposits dry, they generally don't rinse off fully just from the flow of water especially from the distant plate locations, and worse trying to clear the bottom. Better off filling the entire bilge with 9 inches of fresh water, then letting it drain. Do it a few times. Don't do this on blocks or trailer.

Galvanic damage is from dissimilar metals (conductive) in a conductive solution, the claim has been the neoprene is creating the dissimilar condition, not from absorption. I believe it. I seen it.

I think I'd rather have the tank top dry of anything wet ever, saltwater or not. When it does get wet, unless the floor is taken up, don't see how it can dry in there fully, the tank compartment is purposely non-ventilated by design. I guess it could be power ventilated with dry air.

Since the bottom of the tank is very low in the boat, it is easy enough for a bilge water rise and the tank stern end first to become awash or splashed with bilge water while underway. Bilge water is going to have salt in it, for SW boat users.

Interesting.

One of those saltaway products may be more successfull in getting rid of salt deposits for those concerned.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
the claim has been the neoprene is creating the dissimilar condition, not from absorption. I believe it. I seen it.

Hmm, galvanic corrosion from interaction of aluminum and neoprene? Now that is interesting. As for me, I'll follow the manufacturer's recommended procedure with my new tank and see how it works out. The original one lasted 22 years, so it'll be awhile before I report back ... :wink:

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Curm, it has been reported here at GG there is carbon in neoprene, I wouldn't know that. I do know carbon is conductive.

It also has been reported by members - failed tanks with small holes found under the neoprene, exactly where I reported.

Question is, how many believe they can remove the salt remains from saltwater under the neoprene strips with the hose via the deck plates or even with the tank covers removed?

Remove all the salt to make the water a non-player in galvanic corrosion induced perforations?

A more appropiate recommendation from Grady to avoid tank replacement, forever, goes like this -

1. Periodically functionally test auto bilge pump circuits to maintain low bilge water levels.

2. Service deck plate seals and O rings, O rings annually, reseal deck plates at 5 yr intervals. Any time a deck plate is removed, o ring to be removed and cleaned incl O ring grove on both sides before closing.

3. Midseason one day after sustained rainfall when deck is totally dry, lift deck plate to observe any liquid on tank. No liquid is acceptable.

4. Drain and remove tanks from boat at 10 yr old mark, inspect for galvanic damage, and clean tank. Flip tank and drain residual fuel from tank, observe for any water in fuel (remove sender to perform this task).

5. If galvanic damage is found and minor in nature, clean and seal neoprene strip with a full face bed of Lifeseal, allo wto ste before reinstalling tank in boat.

6. After the 10 yr inspection, repeat Item 4, at 5 yr intervals.

And like magic, the tank will last forever.
Continue using the dock hose for cleaning the boat, outside of the boat.

flynnaire

Reaction score
What pictures would you like to see? I have some of a 04 228 fuel tank area and 93 24 explorer. Both are the same as far as rubber stips and alum. tank. Both used rubber (?) type strips as padding. They have self adhesive plus the strips of duct tape to hold them on.

What I have seen is the water gets behind these and pits holes in the tanks. Priod just that simple. Not rocket science, just a place to trap water.

New or not Grady or not I pull MY tanks and paint the bilge with bilge paint and glue on the rubber strips with 4200 so there is no gap for water.

I rinse my tanks all the time, maybe too often but they are my tanks, and the boat is wet slipped. Just MY opinion but I've sealed more then my share of fuel sending units and they are VERY water and fuel tight. As for me "rinse away" If you get water in there from a hose with 28-34 psi then you have a bigger problem!!!!

Here is a picture of a 228 tank 04/05 with 200+- hours and you can see the strips laying on the bottom of the bilge. Factory duck tape and all. Heck it's good enough for the space shuttle.
100_0543.jpg
[/img]
Just a side note, this tank was pulled to move it forward, ( after many conversations with Grady) to keep the scuppers dry and in MY!!!!!! opinion balance the boat better from the four stroke weight. With over 613 hrs now I can tell you it was well worth it. Boat handels better in all respects., and she's been out in some nasty weather for the west coast.
Very predictable boat.
Here is the finished install

100_1026.jpg

flynnaire

Reaction score
Good question? The new,(05 up) 208"s use them...............

kendcc

Reaction score
Just received a reply from Grady on the "procedure".

"By periodically, we mean once or twice a year. We recommend pulling up the 6" deck plates and spraying inside the compartment with fresh water.
This will help remove any salt residue that may accumulate over time and will lengthen the life of the tanks. If you have any additional questions please let us know.

Bert Kelly
Customer Relations
Grady-White Boats"

Keep in mind, I'm not trying to debate any of the valuable opinions expressed in this thread. I'm only relaying how Grady White replied to my query.