Rocket launcher rod holder for GW Freedom 307 - my solution

panabal

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
Hello all, my first post here. So glad to have found the group! I wanted to comment about my experience searching for a rocket launcher rod holder for my 2017 GW Freedom 307.

Problem: The Grady White optional rocket launcher sold for my boat doesn't work because I have the factory-installed retractible sunshade. The sunshade would hit the rod holders when extending it. Also, it is a 5 rod holder and I wanted a 7. I was able to locate Grady White's OEM supplier of the rocket launcher to discuss a custom solution, but they didn't seem too interested in a one-off project. Totally understandable.

Solution: Last year at the NJ Saltwater Fishing Expo, I stopped by GW Performance Welding's display booth. The owner is Glen Weeks out of Northfield, NJ, just outside of Atlantic City. Obviously, the "GW" is his initials, and has nothing to do with "Grady White". Anyway, he sells a lot of his items on Ebay. I talked to him about making an aluminum 7-rod rocket launcher to mount to my hard top that will still allow me to use my sunshade. I give him the measurements, to include the vertical and horizontal radius (arch) of the hard top (he calls it "top crown" and "rear crown"). Within a week he created a beautiful masterpiece of a rocket launcher for me. I live about an hour from his shop, so I drove down to get it as opposed to paying for shipping. My initial impression was that the thing was beautiful. The quality of the materials and workmanship were top-notch - I was extremely impressed. The rocket launcher has three 1/4" (or maybe 3/16") aluminum tabs for mounting to the hard top. I drilled 3 holes in each tab and then positioned and centered the rocket launcher on the hard top. Once satisfied with the position, I marked and drilled the holes on the hardtop. I used 3M 5200 sealant on the tabs then bolted them down, using the 5200 to seal the top and bottom sides of the bolts/washers as well. I capped off the bottom of the bolts with cap nuts, for an OEM, professional-looking installation. It is rock solid and I use it when trolling for tuna. It easily holds 7 of my 50-series conventional trolling rods. Pics below:

4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg

Fishtales

Reaction score
Looks awesome. Do you need a cooler to reach or are you tall enough?

panabal

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
Looks awesome. Do you need a cooler to reach or are you tall enough?

Great point. I'm not tall (5'7") so yes, I need to step on my cooler to reach. :( No big deal though. I can also step on a gunwhale and reach over.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Hey neighbor ! I'm the 265 express on B dock. I catch short stripers at night all summer in front of your boat.

Looks good. Ready for bluefins!

panabal

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
Hey neighbor ! I'm the 265 express on B dock. I catch short stripers at night all summer in front of your boat.

Looks good. Ready for bluefins!

Ha yep small world! Looking forward to the season.

rsa999

Reaction score
Model
Express 360
Hello all, my first post here. So glad to have found the group! I wanted to comment about my experience searching for a rocket launcher rod holder for my 2017 GW Freedom 307.

Problem: The Grady White optional rocket launcher sold for my boat doesn't work because I have the factory-installed retractible sunshade. The sunshade would hit the rod holders when extending it. Also, it is a 5 rod holder and I wanted a 7. I was able to locate Grady White's OEM supplier of the rocket launcher to discuss a custom solution, but they didn't seem too interested in a one-off project. Totally understandable.

Solution: Last year at the NJ Saltwater Fishing Expo, I stopped by GW Performance Welding's display booth. The owner is Glen Weeks out of Northfield, NJ, just outside of Atlantic City. Obviously, the "GW" is his initials, and has nothing to do with "Grady White". Anyway, he sells a lot of his items on Ebay. I talked to him about making an aluminum 7-rod rocket launcher to mount to my hard top that will still allow me to use my sunshade. I give him the measurements, to include the vertical and horizontal radius (arch) of the hard top (he calls it "top crown" and "rear crown"). Within a week he created a beautiful masterpiece of a rocket launcher for me. I live about an hour from his shop, so I drove down to get it as opposed to paying for shipping. My initial impression was that the thing was beautiful. The quality of the materials and workmanship were top-notch - I was extremely impressed. The rocket launcher has three 1/4" (or maybe 3/16") aluminum tabs for mounting to the hard top. I drilled 3 holes in each tab and then positioned and centered the rocket launcher on the hard top. Once satisfied with the position, I marked and drilled the holes on the hardtop. I used 3M 5200 sealant on the tabs then bolted them down, using the 5200 to seal the top and bottom sides of the bolts/washers as well. I capped off the bottom of the bolts with cap nuts, for an OEM, professional-looking installation. It is rock solid and I use it when trolling for tuna. It easily holds 7 of my 50-series conventional trolling rods. Pics below:

View attachment 6357View attachment 6358View attachment 6359View attachment 6360View attachment 6361View attachment 6362
Could you please send me his info? I would like to order this for my 360! Thanks