Rocket Launcher Rod Holders? 330 Express

GradyGuy3420

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
We are debating the install of ‘rocket launcher’ style rod holders mounted on the hard top facing aft. Wondering if others have done this and have opinions, brand recommendations, install tips, etc. It seems like a high reach and I’m 6’.

Boat is a 330 express. Thanks in advance.

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have a sailfish but similar height. My holders are way to high to grab them without doing a monkey swing with one hand. Not easy when out in the ocean. I'm trying to find a mobile welder to have them dropped 5 inches. Just something to think about before the install.

Reactions: GradyGuy3420

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I am 6-1, and had my installer weld them so that the bottom of the rod holder is 4 inches above the top of my head. That is a pain that I really want to avoid if possible. That was on my Tournament 22, on my Seafarer, they are factory height. The scary thing to me is someone who is not aware stepping up on the box to get to the walkaround, and catching one right in the top of their skull. Those outside ones now have tennis balls on the bottom. It would still be painful, but maybe not ruin the day with a trip to the ER.

Reactions: GradyGuy3420

Lucky13

Reaction score
i have 6 of them on my top i think from the factory but i am second owner so not 100%. Yes they are very high but could not imagine not having them. I also have three on each side coming down the pipes. what does your current setup look like.

Fishtales

Reaction score
If you go stock, you may have a height issue. I agree though, if you have em, you will find a way to access.
Another option is to go custom and have them lower than stock ones. Solves the access issue and gives you the additional holders you seek.

GradyGuy3420

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
i have 6 of them on my top i think from the factory but i am second owner so not 100%. Yes they are very high but could not imagine not having them. I also have three on each side coming down the pipes. what does your current setup look like.

Thanks for the reply. We had them on our previous 232 Gulfstream and, like you say, couldn't live without them. The boat currently has three down the sides like yours and then the four standard ones on the gunnels. We're definitely lacking a bit, especially on tuna trips when bringing bait jigging rods, tuna rods, spinning rods, etc.

GradyGuy3420

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thanks, everyone for the replies. Are there any custom fabricators that any of you would recommend? Do we know where Grady gets their product from?

Lucky13

Reaction score
If you go stock, you may have a height issue. I agree though, if you have em, you will find a way to access.
Another option is to go custom and have them lower than stock ones. Solves the access issue and gives you the additional holders you seek.
another option if you are not sure if you want to mount something fixed on the top is to get one or two of those trident rod holders. goes into a normal rod holder but can hold multiple rods.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Good call. Lower cost and can be put away when not fishing.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I posted a thread earlier, but I opted to add 4 clamp on holders on the hard top supports alternating with the factory welded ones. I'm 5-8 and there's no way I'd be able to get rods in and out of hard top rocket launchers without climbing up on something. I know I'm not tall, but that boat makes me feel SHORT sometimes.

Plus it was way cheaper and an easy DIY...

PS. I think these are the guys who supply the hard tops for the 330 and have pre-fit rocket launchers: https://www.wmwmarine.com/rodholders.html

Scott D

Reaction score
I had rod holders made by “Palmetto Trooper” over on THT. Impossible to get a hold of but nice guy and does great work at a great price. They are for sure high even though I had him weld towards the top of the rod holder to lower them. They are great for the ride out and back offshore to keep everything neat and I just stand on the sink or the livewell to get them up and down.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
WMW are the builders for grady. I ordered my rocket launcher from them directly. They happened to have one in stock at the time. I can reach the outer 2 holders by standing on the walkaround step. The middle ones are tough to reach unless your an NBA player. In hind sight I should have mounted it on the bottom of the hardtop.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Look at the WMW design. All that is needed is to extend the (3) mounting tabs down and weld in a lower position. Can use the same design, just specify the drop you want.

Scott D

Reaction score
I called WMW about the holder before I had mine made by PalmettoTrooper. They were much more expensive and I also wanted mine lower and as you can see in the pictures mine drops off the top a few inches and the holders are welded towards the top of the tulip so they are a little lower. We also typically troll 7 rods so when running offshore and back I wanted storage for 7.
I am not disparaging WMW for their price but a local shop that does T Tops etc can build you exactly what you want and it may be cheaper.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I believe you are correct, you should be able to get a rocket launcher cheaper locally than from WMW. I said to look at the design to understand how it is mounted. Once you see, you can easily lengthen the material to set the rocket launcher at any desired height. Just make sure you don't go too low and can bang heads!

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have a sailfish but similar height. My holders are way to high to grab them without doing a monkey swing with one hand. Not easy when out in the ocean. I'm trying to find a mobile welder to have them dropped 5 inches. Just something to think about before the install.
Same issue, I have 5 up there, it's a huge PITA and IMO they put the hard top too high. I'm only 5'9" so I have tons of room, but even my tall friends have no issues with clearance under the top. Like you I've had that same idea on my back burner. 5 inches would make all the difference in the world, I've slipped a couple times in heavy seas.

Reactions: mleads310