Rod adapters

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Being this is my first Grady and first boat with flush mount rod holders. All of my rods are straight butt ends. Been trying to find a bent butt adapter to put on the end of the rod, or maybe i need to look at changing the aft gunnel flush mount to a higher degree one, so the rods tips aren't so vertical.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Personally I don't like the bent butt standup rods. Depending on your rods you may not be able to convert them. Get 15 and 30 degree rods holders and swap the existing ones out.

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Personally I don't like the bent butt standup rods. Depending on your rods you may not be able to convert them. Get 15 and 30 degree rods holders and swap the existing ones out.
As I said, first time with flush mounts, so bear with me. For what I've read, 0 degree are straight up, Im not sure what the factory degree ones are, but I'm thinking they are probably about 30? Im almost thinking maybe I need a 45, or maybe 60? I want the rods to point out the back maybe 15-30 degrees from parallel with the water.

I dont think it I'd be able to get that kind of angle off the forward mounts, since they point out the side of the boat.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Typically the rear and corner rod holders are 15 degrees and clocked straight back. The next pair up the gunnel are 30 degree and clocked out maybe 15 degrees. The most forward set are 30 degree and clocked out maybe 30 degrees. Depending on the boat you can go to 4 sets down the gunnel. You could go to 30 degree rod holders but they a sometimes a clearance problem under the gunnel especially when clocked.

Rod holders don't really spread the lines out that much. They just help prevent tangles. You really need outriggers. I see you are Pacific Northwest. I know nothing about what you fish for or how the pro's do things there.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
0 is straight up (90 deg to the horizon). Everything is measured from that. So 15 deg is 75 deg from water 30 deg is 60 from water.

Thats your choices... 0, 15, 30.

Standard setup is rear corners 30 deg, pointed straight back. Next set fwd in gunnels are 15 degree, turned outward 45deg.

bent butt rods in the rear corners will be 30 deg off water. bent butt rods in a 0 deg rodholder will be 60 off water (30 deg bent butt)

You can get outrodders that go into a rodholder and then hold a rod outward near parallel to water (90 deg)

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Typically the rear and corner rod holders are 15 degrees and clocked straight back. The next pair up the gunnel are 30 degree and clocked out maybe 15 degrees. The most forward set are 30 degree and clocked out maybe 30 degrees.
look again... you got it backwards. they use 15 deg when angling out because 30s won't fit most gunnels angled out. rear corners are always 30s straight back.

Reactions: Hookup1

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
Look into outrodders. I'll post a pic. I often run 2 straight out the aft and 2 more in the forward gunnel rod holders with a nice (4) rod spread.

tx,
dr

Fishtales

Reaction score

I have these exact ones - except I got them in 2001. They are really nice. They have a pin that can be removed at the end (never did this and honestly don't know why you would).
I WD and grease the ballbearing in the pin every now and then and put a larger SS ring on so the other end wouldn't pull through the hole but really not needed.

A poor man's outrigger....

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
First, after looking at some pictures, I'm not entirely positive that the Grady rear corner rodholders on the 265 are 30s. I think they might be straight back 15s. The Grady forward rodholders are 15s angled out 45. Those are the only four that I did not install myself. I guess that it all really depends on the boat and room in the gunnel. I was thinking of other boats that had 30s straight back in the corner.
The galvanic isolator under the stb side gunnel probably prevents using a 30.
The thing about the angles is important because you want the tips setup so that when you get a fish on, the line doesn't hit the rod aft of it.
A lot of that doesn't matter to the downrigger salmon guys. I think you need to find the right combination of outrodders to put in the grady rodholders.

I installed a 30 deg on each side, angled 90 outward. There is a spot forward where the gunnel widens enough to use a 30 deg angled out.
I also installed a 0 deg Heavy duty swivel on port side between the grady rodholders. I have another one for the stb side but I have to move the galvanic isolator.

I have 0 deg across the tailgate and replaced the cupholders with rodholder/cupholders.
(the super wide angle GoPro messes with the angles in this picture)
Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 7.41.38 PM.png

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I went with some Burnewiin brand mounts for my Scotty downriggers, which they are a fantastic product, although admittedly not cheap. You could always get the same mounts and then put some of their rod holders in there as well? They've got several different ones to choose from.

Grady White Burnewiin.jpegGrady White Downrigger Mount.jpegGrady White Downrigger.jpegGrady White Downriggers Installed.jpeg

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I'll look into the outrodders. Looks like that be the way to go.

Skunk, in your picture, your port side rear with the bent butt is the exact angle I'm looking for off of the holders. But with a straight butt rod.

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Typically the rear and corner rod holders are 15 degrees and clocked straight back. The next pair up the gunnel are 30 degree and clocked out maybe 15 degrees. The most forward set are 30 degree and clocked out maybe 30 degrees. Depending on the boat you can go to 4 sets down the gunnel. You could go to 30 degree rod holders but they a sometimes a clearance problem under the gunnel especially when clocked.

Rod holders don't really spread the lines out that much. They just help prevent tangles. You really need outriggers. I see you are Pacific Northwest. I know nothing about what you fish for or how the pro's do things there.
We typically troll for Chinook, coho, and albacore. Rod tips are typically at the angle of the picture Skunk posted in the port side rear.

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I like those adjustable outrodders, mine are fixed and I run them in the forward gunnel holders, they put the rods close to straight out from the boat and just a bit above horizontal to the waterline. I have a pair of flat line release clips for the two aft corner rods that we use when trolling offshore. They attach via suction cup and I do run a safety tether line to the lifting eyes, just in case.

1684012841608.png1684013155395.jpeg

Reactions: Saltyone