Rod holder angle

Yooper

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I’m thinking about ordering a couple flush gunnel rod holders to my 2007 Sailfish 282. I’m not at the boat location and I’m wondering if anyone knows what the angle of the original existing rod holders are.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
On the stern corners, pointing straight back, most likely 30 degrees. If you have 3 per side, the next one angles outboard, and the 3rd one up to 90 degrees straight out. You don't have to go that extreme, you could angle each one any amount you like, but you have to make sure you have room under the gunnels to angle those additional rod holders, and you may have to go to 15 degree holders.
Turn a rod holder upside down, centered flat on the gunnel, and see where the bottom of the tube ends up, in relation to the INSIDE of the gunnel.

Last edited:

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I assume you want to add a middle rod holder between the forward and stern holders. I did the same on both my current grady and previous boat(265) in both cases I installed a 15 degree and kind of split the distance and the angle between the 2 existing rod holders so that when trolling the rods and lines don't contact each other. Grady places the galvanic isolator under the starboard gunnel, so you may have to work around that or move it slightly.

CJ7Rob

Reaction score
Yea the common ones in the gunnels are 30*.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
fyi, you usually don't have enough room to point a 30* out to the side at 90* due to the width of the gunnel and the size of the rod holder flange.

if you get a "screwless " rod holder you get more room... Look at GEMLUX website

Yooper

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks for the great ideas . I think I’ll go with the 15 degree and angle it a little more than the front holder. I already moved the galvanic isolator to install a 0 degree swivel base for a deep drop rig , so it shouldn’t be a problem.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I was able to put a 30* Gemlux straight out the side at 90*.The don't have screw on the flange they have a big nut underneath. That makes the flange narrower.

In this picture the forward rod holder is the one I'm talking about. The next one aft is a stock Grady 30* at 45* out. The next one aft is a Gemlux heavy duty 0* swivel. The aft one is the stock Grady 30* facing aft

When trolling they spread and don't cross tips on the strike. I really like having the 90* out the side for drifting baits.

aVedCd6l.jpg

Last edited: