Rod holder spacing

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
There are 3 rod holders in the gunwale on my 330 - the two factory holders, and one spaced halfway between them. Guessing this puts them about 15-18" apart.

Want to add a 0* swivel holder, but ideally not in place of what is there already. My gut says that putting it between two of the existing holders is too close, as it would be only about 7-9" between holders. NOT concerned about rods being too close, but more about sacrificing strength.

Any thoughts? If I *have* to swap out an existing one, I can do so and would be the middle one.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I have seen it done both ways. with either the swivel holder between the middle and rear holder and the rear holder swapped out for a swivel holder.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If you end up still being on the fence about strength, glass-in (or 5200) a piece of 3/4" plywood before your backer plate. You can make the 3/4" as long as you want.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
No problem with strength. There is plywood core in the gunnel.

Presumably you are using the swivel as a fighting position. You want to be able to swing the rod to clear the corner of the transom.
Test your positioning based on that.

You have more room than my 265.
I would put the swivel where the aft one is and move that 30* one more aft
or maybe just put the swivel farthest aft.

There might be a galvanic isolator in the way under the gunnel? (its there on a 265)
I have a long heavy duty Gemlux 0* swivel on the port side. I have one still to be mounted on the stbd side.

FYI there are two lengths of rodholders and two lengths of bent butts.
My 80 bent butt fits it but my 50 bent butt is too short. The bend just touches the edge of the rodholder and it is awkward and can ride up under the pull of a fish.
My remedy is dropping in a swivel extender into the HD swivel rodhoder when using the 50.

I don't troll out of the swivel. Its just for fighting, drifting bait or deep dropping tilefish.

Also, the long HD 0* may be so low as to interfere with the top gunnel horizontal rod rack position