Rod Holder Upgrade from Stock to Tuna fishing grade

capeman

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
I have a GW 335 and have begun fishing for tuna off of cape cod. I've invested in some new gear w/ bent rod butts and now realize that the stock GW rod holders really won't work for me. Has anyone upgraded their rod holders and would recommend a specific brand or type? Thinking I'd need a swivel base holder. As well, would like to just swap out existing holders w/ new without drilling new holes. Not sure if that is possible.

capeman

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
Gemlux. Screwless Bluewater HD https://www.gemlux.com/105512

Bent butt will need a 0 degree. can't put a 0 in existing 30 degree hole.

Thanks for the reply. Is the stock 30 degree holder hole drilled on an angle? Assume so. So, is it an easy install to retrofit or a bit more complicated? I am fairly handy, but kinda concerned about pulling the drill out..

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Thanks for the reply. Is the stock 30 degree holder hole drilled on an angle? Assume so. So, is it an easy install to retrofit or a bit more complicated? I am fairly handy, but kinda concerned about pulling the drill out..
0 degrees are easy because the hole is straight down.

Reactions: capeman

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Lee’s or CE Smith make good zero degree swivel holders. Make sure you get backing plates and tie downs. I’ve found that the nylock nuts that come with most swivel holders back off during use; we’ve had success with two jam nuts instead.

i personally have some custom ones made by the guys who build Anderson boats though I believe the swivel assemblies are from Lee’s. They’re about 11” deep so only long curved #4 and #6 bent butts will work.

Check the spacing between the holders to ensure no interference if you’re using full length rods; you might want to add another holder between the two existing if there’s room as you can never have too many.

Good luck and keep us posted!

brdawg2001

Reaction score
Hey skunk, how much room do those gemlux need on the bottom side?...I would like to replace mine on my 273 Chase...

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Hey skunk, how much room do those gemlux need on the bottom side?...I would like to replace mine on my 273 Chase...
go on the website they have Drawings. The Bluewater HD are longer than the Bluewater. Clearance depends on model and angle.
If you have "open" gunnels and wrench access to the underside then the install is easy. Otherwise you need the tool or need to make a tool.

The screwless flange gives you more wiggle room to angle outward.

Reactions: brdawg2001

capeman

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
Lee’s or CE Smith make good zero degree swivel holders. Make sure you get backing plates and tie downs. I’ve found that the nylock nuts that come with most swivel holders back off during use; we’ve had success with two jam nuts instead.

i personally have some custom ones made by the guys who build Anderson boats though I believe the swivel assemblies are from Lee’s. They’re about 11” deep so only long curved #4 and #6 bent butts will work.

Check the spacing between the holders to ensure no interference if you’re using full length rods; you might want to add another holder between the two existing if there’s room as you can never have too many.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks for the recommendation. I am going ahead with the Lee's (10.5") and will install as additional holders vs replacing existing. Quick question on tie downs. Whats the best length and method to build/buy tie downs?

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Thanks for the recommendation. I am going ahead with the Lee's (10.5") and will install as additional holders vs replacing existing. Quick question on tie downs. Whats the best length and method to build/buy tie downs?

Save money and make your own. Use 1/4” or 5/16” three strand nylon with an eye splice to stainless carabiners. I can’t remember if the Lee’s backing plates have a hole to secure the tethers you. If not you can use these between the backing plate at the nut:

Dog River Tools Stainless Steel... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YNMGCBF?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

As for tether length, we used to keep them long enough to reach the closest holder (3-4 feet) so we could move the rods around if multiple fish crossed lines.

The long tethers did get in the way so we now tie daisy chains to shorten them up and extend them only when needed.

My friend uses only short tethers on his boat and has a single long tether secured in a central location that he can use to move any of the rods.

I prefer the short tethers and backing off on the drag if moving a rod under load.

Reactions: capeman