Rod Storage ?

VCinRI

Reaction score
I have a 27' Sailfish. I have seen photos where the fishing rods are mounted to the ceiling of the v-berth. Was wondering the best way to do this. Are these brackets homemade? How are they fastened to the ceiling?

Thanks,
VC

ppaspa

Reaction score
I have a set of rod holders that came from Grady in my '02 282. They work OK for up to 6 rods up to 7" long and are hinged to fold out of the way. The way the dealer mounted the rear holder looks correct but it does limit the port side window opening somewhat. They also take up a good amont of space down below, but overall I like having them. One modificaiton I made was to replace the fixed hinges Grady supplied with take apart hinges so I can just lift the rod holders off the mounts and store them out of the way when I want to do an overnighter. The extra room is really nice when you're actually using the cuddy. My marine supplier didn't have a direct take apart style replacement for the grady supplied hinges so I got hinges from McMaster Carr (Industrial supplier) that fit without drilling new holes and cost a fraction of what marine hardware costs. They just needed a polishing wheel to buff them to a shine and work and look great. I also had to mill off 1/2" from the top of the front holder becasue it would hit the ceiling otherwise. This way I can use the holders or not without havinig to use tools to remove them.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
ppaspa said:
I have a set of rod holders that came from Grady in my '02 282. They work OK for up to 6 rods up to 7" long and are hinged to fold out of the way. The way the dealer mounted the rear holder looks correct but it does limit the port side window opening somewhat. They also take up a good amont of space down below, but overall I like having them. One modificaiton I made was to replace the fixed hinges Grady supplied with take apart hinges so I can just lift the rod holders off the mounts and store them out of the way when I want to do an overnighter. The extra room is really nice when you're actually using the cuddy. My marine supplier didn't have a direct take apart style replacement for the grady supplied hinges so I got hinges from McMaster Carr (Industrial supplier) that fit without drilling new holes and cost a fraction of what marine hardware costs. They just needed a polishing wheel to buff them to a shine and work and look great. I also had to mill off 1/2" from the top of the front holder becasue it would hit the ceiling otherwise. This way I can use the holders or not without havinig to use tools to remove them.

Would you mind posting the part number of those hinges, or perhaps a direct link to the seller? I'd like to get a set of those for the cabin rodracks that we had made this summer. That;s one of my winter projects.

ppaspa

Reaction score
The hinges can be purchased from www.mcmastercarr.com and are part numbers 1151A82 for the right hand hings and 1151A81 for the left hand hings. They cost around $4.74 per hinge and you need two of each if its set up like mine. The hinges are supplied unfinished so you need a buffing or polishing wheel to shine them up.