Rolled the dice and I lost it seems.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ky: Glad no mishaps from the fuel leak, glad to hear of your nearly new Grady, and really glad of your 'glass is mostly full' outlook on it!

Hope the main tank pull and install goes smoothly. Interested to see where the leak came from.

Rob

Reactions: Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm curious also. Top of tank doesn't look bad, but I haven't put eyes on the sides or bottom yet. I'll post up pics when I pull it and find out. At least I have all the tools needed to pull it. Bought the belt sander last time to use on the lid flange. I know what it takes to get it out.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
These tanks will go quicker if there is stray current in the water. The carbon pads act as a conductor and attack the tank. On my little boat It's coal tar epoxied with a fish zinc routed to an area for inspection. This will be the route I go to when it's time to change the Grady tanks. I'm going to do one large one and slide it forward to offset the motor weight.

cap

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
K sorry for your problems also.

I've bought a 03 19ft DC. Ya'll got me worried about the tank so while I was washing it out last Friday I pulled the access covers to wash the bilge good.
Is it possible that GW has stopped with the aluminum tanks? mine appears to be plastic (????) instead of metal.
The boat only had 250 hrs on it when I bought it so I find it hard to believe that the tank has been replaced.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I wasn't aware of any plastic tanks in the Grady line. Maybe so. I know Florida Marine is still making aluminum tanks for Grady, saw a bunch getting ready to be delivered to Grady factory while I was there picking mine up.

My tanks were original to the boat and both aluminum. Some guys have better luck and a longer lifespan than mine. I contribute the premature death of mine to lack of care and proper flushing of them in it's first 13 years of life of living in a saltwater environment.

If it was me, I'd pull the floor panel up and give it a good wash and rinse just for piece of mind if you just bought it. At least you'll have a starting point moving forward. Then again, if it truly is plastic, you might not want to. I'm OCD trying to keep things clean and in good condition, me, even if it is plastic, I'd still pull the panel for a good wash and rinse.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
208 adventure 2006... Plastic fuel tank! trapper

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Didn't realize that. Guess anything 20' and below have the poly tanks??