Roller Boat Trailer for Gradys. Need your opinion and help

bdubz06

Reaction score
Hi Guys:

I was wondering for those of you who have roller trailers for your 19-23 foot Grady's could you post or email me a picture of how the boat sit and how the rollers are adjusted for your trailer? email is ebaybrad@gmail.com

I just purchased a new trailer for my 208 and trying to decide if this is going to work the way it is currently adjusted. It seems like the rollers are a little too far in. Do you think the center of gravity is too high? How many of you have keel rollers for your trailer just in case you're in too deep or too shallow?

Thank you in advance for your help.

dscn1314xp6.jpg

dscn1313vd8.jpg

dscn1312ne4.jpg

seasick

Reaction score
I have a 2001 208 on a Venture roller trailer. I do not have a keel roller but only use the trailer for winter storage and occasional haul for maintenence. My dual axel trailer will hold uo to a 23 footer so the winch post is slid back towards the rear to get the weight distributed correctly. I don't have a picture but it looks like yours is set up like mine. The rear rollers are probably only a foor back from the transom. As long as all the rollers have goos contact, it should be OK.

dan313

Reaction score
Hi,

My 228 sits the same way as yours. You should be fine.

Lenny

bondstreet

Reaction score
Looks similar to mine

My rollers are set up like yours. Additionally, I have a gang of six keel rollers up front with a small bunk pad port and starboard. I'll bet your boat slides off there like it was greased. My bunk pads slow things down a little. I frequently put in at a shallow ramp and mine comes off the trailer with ease. Be careful to leave the bow connected until your ready to turn it loose! I'll try to get a picture this weekend.

bdubz06

Reaction score
Bow tie down

Thanks, Guys. Do you all use a bow tie down with roller trailers?

Brad

catch22

Reaction score
Re: Bow tie down

bdubz06 said:
Thanks, Guys. Do you all use a bow tie down with roller trailers?

Brad

You should use a bow tie down with any type of trailer, (roller or bunk). It helps to take some of the stress off of the winch, especially when you hit road bumps. Even more so if you have a power winch.

Reactions: PT G and igblack87

leek

Reaction score
Trailers and Tie Down

Nice King Trailer, had one on the last Boston Whaler, was pleased but fooled around quite a bit to get the set up right. I now own 225 Tournament, Jacobsens had a Shorelander set up for it and I followed their recomendation (it is a roller trailer with several small support pads) I noticed last week going up to Monroe from Seattle that the boat was wandering around so I moved the yoke 6" forward in Monroe and it tracked much better so have the tounge weighed, s/b 5-10% of load
I failed to tie a bow down once on an earlier runnabout on a roller trailer, It walked forward when I hit a large dip on Snoqualmie Pass and it came out of the nose piece and I had to float it off the trailer into Lake Easton and get her up and tied right exact. Good luck with your new boat, see you out on the sound

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Whilst I don't have a roller trailer currently i have had quite a lot of experience with them and your boat looks fine. I had a 26ft long 26deg deep Vee that didn't have keel rollers and it came off and on the trailer beautifully.
Make sure that bow is secured with more than the winch strap, when you are backing it down or going up the ramp. Wiches have been known to strip their teeth with the weght of the boat on the ramp..........embarrassment would be the least of your worries.

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thee should always be a bow tiedown. I dont know why all mfgrs dont put an eye there for the strap.. For all the reasons listed above as well plus think of where the momentum of the boat will push it in an accident..
It is more safety reserve to help keep the boat off of your tow vehicle when it wants to climb up over the roller. The rear straps often only keep the boat from going backward and would leave several feet of play if it tries to move forward

garyroe

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have bought a set of four boat trailer rollers from Attwood for the ShorLander (18') trailer-just finished, heavy duty, easy to install. It works great. Just secure between your tabs to set the size correctly. Instead of measuring for a roller size, measure for a gap tab; for example, a 10 inch gap tab would be a 9 inch roller.

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I have bought a set of four boat trailer rollers from Attwood for the ShorLander (18') trailer-just finished, heavy duty, easy to install. It works great. Just secure between your tabs to set the size correctly. Instead of measuring for a roller size, measure for a gap tab; for example, a 10 inch gap tab would be a 9 inch roller.
Guys (mod?), I've said it before... there's something strange about Gary's posts. Gary, if you are truly trying to help, forgive me - but responding to a 14-year old post (and your post doesn't seem to make sense) is questionable. Many of your posts also seem to have questionable links to try and sell product. I assume this "gap tab" you're talking about is the distance between the "tabs" for mounting a keel roller, but that info has nothing to do with the OP's question.

Reactions: Halfhitch

nuclear

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Welcome back dead thread.