Roller disappeared, damage done, and an uncaring marina

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
This past week I launched our Grady at a marina in Brick NJ on the Manasquan river which has a public ramp. Its a good ramp, single width but with deep water (if you hug the ramp), a large pebble stone parking lot and floating docks. I've launched here before and have lost a wobble roller here in the past. Ok it happens, so I make it a habit to check that they are all there now before walking away for our day on the water. This day was no different, all accounted for.
Had a great day on the water. Returning I dunked the trailer went to ease the boat on and crunch. WTF! I back up and my daughter says look your missing a roller! Again WTF! I pull it out and sure as s**t ones gone. Great. Looking at the boat I now have a 6" gouge in the gelcoat.
I wrapped the bare bar with tape so it would do no more damage and loaded up. One of the marina guys was there so i brought it to his attention (I guess he was an owner or foreman for how he phrased his words). He said he doubted anyone would take a roller. I said up until today I would have agreed but now I have to wonder. He added, and this is the screwed up part..." when my guys see a roller laying in the yard they just throw them out! My guys don't have the time to check all the trailers that park here". Note that there were three (3) trailers parked for the day.
I suggested that instead of throwing them out maybe he could set the roller on a post at the top of the ramp so that it might provoke a owner to check his trailer thus preventing gouging his boat like I did. He just blew me off! Nice.

Now I've got some gelcoat repair to do and a roller to replace.
Incidentally I waded into the water at the ramp to see if the roller was there. The water was somewhat clear but there was no roller.
I going to do two two maybe three things now, first I'm going to recheck my rollers before I retrieve, second I'm going to carry replacement parts and tools. The third thing is to deal with anyone appropriately :evil: that I may catch taking anything off my trailer.
Granted I may have lost the roller at the instant the boat kissed the trailer to reload. I still want to believe no one would mess with another's trailer but the marina owners attitude still has me bent.
Mike

Finest Kind

Reaction score
Was that the Manasquan River Club ramp? I used to winter store my boat there....No comment about their caring or lack of...
However if you are heading outside, try Strictly Marine's ramp in Manasquan. (right by the Glimmer Glass bridge)
If you want to fish the ocean its the closest ramp to the inlet.

Reaction score
Switch to bunks and you'll never have to deal with broken or missing rollers again.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Finest Kind said:
Was that the Manasquan River Club ramp? I used to winter store my boat there....No comment about their caring or lack of...
However if you are heading outside, try Strictly Marine's ramp in Manasquan. (right by the Glimmer Glass bridge)
Yup, thats them.
I checked out their ramp by the glimmer glass, its pretty tight for parking and I think the hours are restrictive. You can't dump in before 8 or 9am and you have to be out early in the afternoon/evening. No way can you catch the morning and evening bite.
The hours thing is a pretty common problem when your a daily ramp use boater. If you pay the seasonal ramp fee sometimes you get a key. But that restricts you to one area and I like to dump in all over. An example is that we are planning on hitting the Delaware river tomorrow. There is one ramp I haven't tried yet this year that might work now that I think about it. Its the Belmar marina on the Shark river. They have a ramp with gates that lift when you feed the meter with tokens you get at the tackle shop. I wouldn't think the ramp meter cares what time of day it is and there is plenty of parking. It is also a double width ramp.
Another benefit is there is no R/R bridge to go under. Did you ever have to try and wake up the bridge tender after hours on that Manasquan R/R bridge? Man, if you come back late and that bridge is down your SOL.
One other thing I have to do is become familiar with the channels in the Shark river. There are some mighty shallow spots and tight channels.
Its gonna be interesting.
Mike.

Finest Kind

Reaction score
Lt.Mike said:
Finest Kind said:
Yup, thats them.
I checked out their ramp by the glimmer glass, its pretty tight for parking and I think the hours are restrictive. You can't dump in before 8 or 9am and you have to be out early in the afternoon/evening. No way can you catch the morning and evening bite.
The hours thing is a pretty common problem when your a daily ramp use boater. If you pay the seasonal ramp fee sometimes you get a key. But that restricts you to one area and I like to dump in all over. An example is that we are planning on hitting the Delaware river tomorrow. There is one ramp I haven't tried yet this year that might work now that I think about it. Its the Belmar marina on the Shark river. They have a ramp with gates that lift when you feed the meter with tokens you get at the tackle shop. I wouldn't think the ramp meter cares what time of day it is and there is plenty of parking. It is also a double width ramp.
Another benefit is there is no R/R bridge to go under. Did you ever have to try and wake up the bridge tender after hours on that Manasquan R/R bridge? Man, if you come back late and that bridge is down your SOL.
One other thing I have to do is become familiar with the channels in the Shark river. There are some mighty shallow spots and tight channels.
Its gonna be interesting.
Mike.

Gotcha Mike, you like to trailer and move around a bit.

I used to keep my boat behind a private home in the Glimmer Glass, GREAT spot to stay at if you ever want a permanent slip. Nice folks there, protected in a storm, very close to the inlet with only the Glimmer Glass Bridge to deal with...and that opens on request anytime during off-season, and every half-hour as needed during the Summer.

RE the RR bridge on the Manasquan, that is always open until a train is coming, then it closes, so the bridge tender gets to sleep only if the trains are not running LOL.

The Shark River ramp by Bry's Marina storage yard is good, had my boat hauled out there for service by Brys a few times. The channel is marked clearly, no worries.
More concerning is the currents under the Rt 71 and RR bridges...the river can SCREAM through there some tides.

Firenailer

Reaction score
Knowing how much work you put into the boat this past winter I've gotta say that really sucks! Sorry to hear it. Sounds pretty fishy especially after you checked after launching. I guess you're gonna have to get a couple of extras to keep in the truck. Hope the gel coat repair goes well.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Its not uncommon for those rollers to come off while loading or unloading. I wouldn't suspect theft or conspiracy ........

fellinger

Reaction score
I am surprised. I have slipped my boat there for 4 or more seasons and have NEVER heard a peep about problems there. The employees are very visible and they have security patrol after hours. All the slips next to the ramp are seasonal. The large sportfish right next to the ramp is a live-aboard. He is always there. I seriously doubt someone took it. They have been helpful to me in the past. I am shocked you had such a bad experience. If you spoke to Brian, the GM I will say his normal tone could be taken as unapologetic or uncaring but, he has helped me so, I think it's just his mannerisms.

Finest Kind

Reaction score
fellinger said:
I am surprised. I have slipped my boat there for 4 or more seasons and have NEVER heard a peep about problems there. The employees are very visible and they have security patrol after hours. All the slips next to the ramp are seasonal. The large sportfish right next to the ramp is a live-aboard. He is always there. I seriously doubt someone took it. They have been helpful to me in the past. I am shocked you had such a bad experience. If you spoke to Brian, the GM I will say his normal tone could be taken as unapologetic or uncaring but, he has helped me so, I think it's just his mannerisms.

Yep, Brian never smiles. His Son is a lot nicer and better to deal with.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Finest Kind said:
RE the RR bridge on the Manasquan, that is always open until a train is coming, then it closes, so the bridge tender gets to sleep only if the trains are not running LOL.
The Shark River ramp by Bry's Marina storage yard is good, had my boat hauled out there for service by Brys a few times. The channel is marked clearly, no worries.
More concerning is the currents under the Rt 71 and RR bridges...the river can SCREAM through there some tides.
I've been boating the Manasquan since '92 so I know about the currant through the r/r bridge. It is bad. I've seen unwary big boat owners get into trouble there and fools in kayaks try to shoot through in heavy boat traffic. We'll see it again this summer. :wink:
Come July weekends by the bridge will look like the harbor scene from Jaws. It's far and away better to watch than any boat ramp follies on youtube.
Back in the early 90's before I had a cell phone I came back late, probably near midnight and the bridge was down. I radioed on 13 for an opening and got no response. I was there over and hour trying get get the tender when I heard his phone ring. That was followed by the siren and the bridge went up. The house was dark as I passed and afterward it went back down, presumably until his alarm woke him again.
I imagine things have changed some since.
Thanks for the Shark River review. Gonna give that a try soon.
Mike.

RJTFD

Reaction score
Deep Creek on Brielle Rd is very nice ramp. Owner Frank is very nice guy. I think they open @6:00 am. i keep my boat on glimmer glass and use the ramp to haul in and out in spring and fall. If your looking for slip on glimmer glass the one next to me just opened up and it's very nice spot.
Rjtfd96@aol.com