Roller vs Bunk Trailers?

NHAngler

Reaction score
Hi, I have a GW 180 and currently an ez loader roller trailer. Roller repair has put me on the path of questioning spending any money here or going for a bunk conversion. With this trailer seems like it would be a simple conversion with 2 9' pt 4x4 or 4x6 wrapped in marine carpeting. These would lag to the ez loader bases and adjust to center to fit and position.

I prefer bunk trailers but have only used my Grady with a roller trailer. Ramps and tides vary but find myself having to use a dock for my roller trailer and early in the season the docks are not always in.

Given the hull design of a Grady, would I be better off sticking with rollers? BTW, I only trailer my boat and do 25-30 trips a year so trailer use is critical for me.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
There's nothing inherently different about the Grady hull design (for this application) that would prevent someone from successfully using a bunk trailer. It's basically just a V-hull boat. If you want the boards to cradle/conform to the hull a little easier, then use 2x6's on the flats as they will bow to follow the shape of the hull better.

Personally, I'd use bunk slicks/glides rather than carpet.