Rope Splicing

JMAT

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 325
Does anyone know who does rope splicing in South West Florida? My anchor line broke today and I need to get it spliced back on to the chain. Just lucky I was able to find the anchor.

mhinch

Reaction score

Have a look.......I know you can do it!

Reactions: JJMag

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
You need a rope to chain splice not a eye splice. Just call around to the marine stores. West may even do it in South Florida. Is this 3-strand or 8-plait?

JMAT

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 325
Thanks for the quick replies. The rope is 8-ply. For the life of me I can’t believe and don’t know how this rope broke. It shredded about 6’ behind the chain.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just do it yourself. Plenty of "How To" videos and pictorial instructions online. Good knowledge to have.

Reactions: JJMag

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
YouTube. Its an easy splice. (harder due to 8 plait) should only take about 30 mins.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Attached is a guide to doing the 8-plait to chain splice. The trick is to get it right so that the windlass will swallow the splice. DIY or DI4U. You should be able to find a marine shop that does a lot to sailboat work or commercial fishing boats to do the splice.

Attachments

• 8_Plait_Tapered_to_Chain Splice.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 12

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
One problem that you may run into is that many rigging shops will not touch used lines/rope.
Your rode must have been lying across something that was barnacle covered, to shred it 6 feet above the chain splice.

JMAT

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 325
Thanks for all the replies guys. Yes, I can't figure out what would cause it to pop like that. I am just glad I was still on the boat setting the stern anchor when it happened. There were probably 30 boats pretty close and that could have been a disaster. The boat is only 8 months old and I have only anchored it 4 or 5 times. When I talked to Dark Horse they said my anchor rope and chain was probably undersized for the boat. But I have not heard of anyone else having an issue. I could only assume the rope may have been defective in that area.

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I highly doubt it was undersized..... It would take a hell of a lot of pressure to snap an anchor rode. Unless it was 1/8 line. The only real possibility was something sharp underwater that chaffed the line. what size boat? anchor? and line are you using?

Reactions: PointedRose

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
It could have been a bad splice too. But I hung an anchor up last winter at a bridge in FL. Under tension all I had to do was touch it with a knife and cut thru. This was with a two year old anchor line.

Apparently he got it back so he knows what happened.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chessie246G

JMAT

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 325
I highly doubt it was undersized..... It would take a hell of a lot of pressure to snap an anchor rode. Unless it was 1/8 line. The only real possibility was something sharp underwater that chaffed the line. what size boat? anchor? and line are you using?
Boat is a 325 Freedom, 1/2" line rated for 5200 pounds and 1/4" chain. I was near the beach with some crashing waves. I ordered a new rope and chain. I went 25' chain instead of the 15' that was on there.

Kack

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
West Marine with a rigging shop can do it. The problem with splicing used line is that the tooling oils from the manufacturing process are washed out of the line and make it tougher to splice. Any good sailboat rigging place should be able to get something going for you. $20 to one of the yard guys that knows his stuff and you should be good to go.

Reactions: PointedRose

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
If you decide to try yourself, can make it easier with a proper fid size. Get the splices as tight as you can. Use a hot knife to cut the line and use electrical tape to keep the strands tidy. When I cut line, I wrap with tape first then cut straight through the tape and line with a hot knife.

Someone at the dock could probably show you how. Used rope is harder to work as others mentioned. Wash with a mild detergent or fabric softener first. Can put in a laundry machine on gentle if you put into a pillowcase or delicate laundry bag. If you’ve only deployed the anchor a few times it should be ok still. New England rope brand is good quality - check breaking strength if you buy new.

Samson Rope Splicing Kit (Fids 1/4-Inch, 1/2-Inch) https://a.co/d/g7N2jBw

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Boat is a 325 Freedom, 1/2" line rated for 5200 pounds and 1/4" chain. I was near the beach with some crashing waves. I ordered a new rope and chain. I went 25' chain instead of the 15' that was on there.
I am quite surprised that an 8-month-old Grady White 325 would be delivered with 1/2 inch anchor line.

JMAT

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 325
I am quite surprised that an 8-month-old Grady White 325 would be delivered with 1/2 inch anchor line.
That’s what Black Horse said. They thought the line was undersized. I went with what was on there, however, I believe this line will break again. 5200 pounds to hold a 12k pound boat does not sound right.