Rotted out screws on live well intake

CFD902

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Have a 2005 226 seafarer, found water coming into boat and had it pulled. Cause is rotted out screws around the live well intake. Marina has no clue when they can fix it. Buddy of mine said new screws and 3M 5200. Any suggestions

Thanks

seasick

Reaction score
Might be that simple but until you pull the fitting out and inspect, you can know for sure if there are other issues. The fitting is not held with the screws but rather with a nut on the threaded pipe that connects the strainer fitting to a seacock. Th screws just hold the strainer in alignment.
I also would not expect the screws to go completely through the hull. Point is that even without a screw, I wouldn't expect a leak. Your fitting must be loose or the hull has problems

Last edited:
Reactions: enfish and Byram

wrxhoon

Reaction score
The best outcome would be that the screws are corroded completely and water comes in through the holes . In any case you have to undo the big retaining nut and pull the pickup fitting out to check.

1625025533432.png

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Not sure why its leaking. Its possible the thru hull is cracked.

The hull isn't cored underwater so it should be simple. Clean the holes out. If they are too large to hold a screw you could epoxy fill and re-drill. In any case 5200 and new oversized screws should do it.

I would not drill thru the hull and put a nut inside the boat.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
It concerns me that screws "rotted out" to the point where water is coming in. That seems like it would be some kind of galvanic corrosion issue, which may have to be addressed. Is the boat wet slipped or on a trailer?

In any event, your hull is going to be wet, so I would pull the thru-hull out completely, let the hull dry out, and assess the situation.