Routing Starboard

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If the roughness is hard bumps, your speed is too high, Direction of cut should be counterclockwise if the bit spins clockwise looing down at the router. You may also want to take a smaller (less deep cut. That you can do my using a bearing larger than the final cut. you may need several passes with smaller bearings. You should also sand the edge that you are using as a guide if it is rough. Check the bearing on the bit for buildup frequently

Thanks, I plan to slow the speed down and see what happens. I went counterclockwise but need to confirm I read the bit correctly.

I will be finishing the work this weekend, hopefully!

seasick

Reaction score
The critical factor is the tangential speed of the cutting edge and not so much the rotational speed. The larger the diameter of the cutter, the slow the router speed has to be to get the same edge speed. I do agree about the quality of the bits and in this case, the use of a 1/4 inch shaft bit can cause chatter. A 1/2 inch router and bit would be a lot more stable.
For a one time job, the bit shown will work but you have to take small cuts over multiple passes.

DoctorOctopus

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
So I just got my piece from TAP Plastics and I am routing a bit from the backside so it recesses into that dash compartment....

Any idea what is causing the rough cut? Am I not going fast enough? Moving it too slow, etc? RPMs not high enough...

Brand new bits, also

Considering this is the back, it’s not a big deal but I want to learn for the future.
move clockwise if holding the router facing down

Fishtales

Reaction score
Just did this with a 1/4 round bit. Was surprised how chippy the plastic was that was cut out. The edges of the pieces came out great though.