Rub Rail for 282 Sailfish

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Anyone done this project and know how many feet I'll need? Plan b is take a string and measure, but was hoping to get a first hand account of someone who has the done the rub rail itself.

Last edited:

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I need about 65 feet, Taco doesn't have this in the supro flex small size, closest match to OEM for this boat, OEM size in the Barbour product, 1.5 top to bottom and sticking out from the boat 1 3/8. Not sure what to do, wife wants the new style with the stainless insert, Barbour apparently has the old style in either blue or black. I ditched the navy canvas, went with Ivory, scraped my aftermarket vinyl emblems and updated to new style OEM Grady Chrome/Mag logos and the new style boot striping, i think the black may be better. Anyone done this conversion?

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Go with the old style. Black. It’s a LOT of work and is a muscle job. I did it once and never again.

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Go with the old style. Black. It’s a LOT of work and is a muscle job. I did it once and never again.
And the youtube videos Taco put out there make it look so easy, you think I need to have at least 2 extra guys to help?

Yamama04107

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
I can just imagine something going terribly wrong when replacing the rubrail. My solution was to wet sand the rail with 200-400 grit, then coat with a automotive tire shine spray once a month....Looked just like new.

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I can just imagine something going terribly wrong when replacing the rubrail. My solution was to wet sand the rail with 200-400 grit, then coat with a automotive tire shine spray once a month....Looked just like new.
8AE5293C-4386-45C9-B5C5-3B03034C45A8.jpeg
Unfortunately I don’t think sanding will make this better. It was like this when I got the boat.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
If you can get hold of it I would replace it with the same dark navy original colour.
The easiest way of doing it, remove the old one take the round part off, put the old rail on the top of the new one and mark the holes on the new rail and drill them out. Starting from the bow put the first screw in on one side then work your way to the back then do same with the other side .
You need at least one helper ( prefer 2) you have to do it on a hot day in the sun, if you are in Maryland you have to do it summer . It will help to immerse the rail in boiling water, that softens it and makes it easier to bend it on the 3 corners, especially on the bow.
It is not an easy job but if you have help and follow the instructions it is doable . I can't stress enough the boiling water and hot weather, do not attempt to do it on a cold day it won't work

Reactions: ItalianAngler

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My go-to marina around here does fantastic work for reasonable rates, and based on this feedback, I may punt this task and sit on a porch with a beer in my hand instead