Rub rail protector

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
This is what I have been wondering about. But a nervous nelly about removing screws and replacing with same diameter and thread but longer to hold down the necessary length of ANYthing - even split garden hose. Or maybe a thin piece of wood that would bend (no steamer have I). ANYthing.

thanks for supporting an idea I was scared about

I've never been a fan of the stainless rub rail. Defeats the purpose. My boats always had thick ugly rubber rails and I've used them aggressively:rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: w&w

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
A while back, I had a boat where I did the "poor man's" anchor roller thing. The rope never caused any damage to the rail - I had about 6' of chain and I would always just stop there and then lift it and anchor over. But, sure, a split hose secured with a bunch of zip ties can't hurt. But it will create a little more friction against the rope - whereas wet rope slides very easily over the SS.

FYI... if you get a proper anchor roller, you can leave the anchor in the roller all the time.

How much tidal swing do you have?

w&w

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
A while back, I had a boat where I did the "poor man's" anchor roller thing. The rope never caused any damage to the rail - I had about 6' of chain and I would always just stop there and then lift it and anchor over. But, sure, a split hose secured with a bunch of zip ties can't hurt. But it will create a little more friction against the rope - whereas wet rope slides very easily over the SS.

FYI... if you get a proper anchor roller, you can leave the anchor in the roller all the time.

How much tidal swing do you have?

unlike north of the cape and especially Maine, our greatest range is from -.5 to 5.5 Mean from 0.0 to approx 4.2. least neap is from 1.0 to 3.0 (approx)

gonna haft look for a roller. I wanted a pulpit with windless but was talked out of it.

w&w

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
you could hang an old tire over the bow....;)
:D:D:Do_O

a number of people just might have objections , I think. I'd rather hang the tire from the piling, but may interfere with the docks rise and fall .

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
unlike north of the cape and especially Maine, our greatest range is from -.5 to 5.5 Mean from 0.0 to approx 4.2. least neap is from 1.0 to 3.0 (approx)

gonna haft look for a roller. I wanted a pulpit with windless but was talked out of it.
I thought it might not be a huge swing - but still about 6', so decent. But you're right - further north (I'm in Friendship, ME) it is larger. So, here's another idea - although it's just a spitball type thing... With some large, SS band clamps, secure a 3' piece of 4x4 to the pole about 2' higher than the rollers woudl go at high tide. Attach this such that it is on the inside corner of the post - facing your rubrail, so to say. You can shape the backside to match the curvature with a belt sander or even just cut a narrow V-groove with circular or table saw. You don't have to be exact with this - just enough to help it "set" against the post.

To this, screw a long piece of 2x4 to it that extends vertically downward. Based on the height of the rollers above the water and compared to your rubrail height, will determine the length of the 2x4. Another 4x4 could be placed 2' below where the rollers would be at the low water mark to give another attachment point for better securement. I suspect an 10' of 2x would do it... 6' tide swing, plus 2' at each end for "just in case".

This is something that the marina should probably do for you, but it's inexpensive and I'm sure other boaters would appreciate it, too. You could even attach a vertical, vinyl rub strip to the 2x4 - although the 2x is soft enough to not cause any damage. The only thing you'll find is that you might get some wood in the phillips head screw heads from rubbing.

I'm mentioning using a 4x4 because I don't know how big those rollers are, but of course this 4x4 could be altered, if needed.

Crude drawing:

6D40B176-A99F-4E80-B87A-56D7D3C51C78.jpg

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I thought it might not be a huge swing - but still about 6', so decent. But you're right - further north (I'm in Friendship, ME) it is larger. So, here's another idea - although it's just a spitball type thing... With some large, SS band clamps, secure a 3' piece of 4x4 to the pole about 2' higher than the rollers woudl go at high tide. Attach this such that it is on the inside corner of the post - facing your rubrail, so to say. You can shape the backside to match the curvature with a belt sander or even just cut a narrow V-groove with circular or table saw. You don't have to be exact with this - just enough to help it "set" against the post.

To this, screw a long piece of 2x4 to it that extends vertically downward. Based on the height of the rollers above the water and compared to your rubrail height, will determine the length of the 2x4. Another 4x4 could be placed 2' below where the rollers would be at the low water mark to give another attachment point for better securement. I suspect an 10' of 2x would do it... 6' tide swing, plus 2' at each end for "just in case".

This is something that the marina should probably do for you, but it's inexpensive and I'm sure other boaters would appreciate it, too. You could even attach a vertical, vinyl rub strip to the 2x4 - although the 2x is soft enough to not cause any damage. The only thing you'll find is that you might get some wood in the phillips head screw heads from rubbing.

I'm mentioning using a 4x4 because I don't know how big those rollers are, but of course this 4x4 could be altered, if needed.

Crude drawing:

6D40B176-A99F-4E80-B87A-56D7D3C51C78.jpg
the dock floats. so the height from dock to rub rail never changes. so design a guard that attaches to the dock.. Kind of like a mailbox pole with a fender. Just has to stick out an inch past the pole

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Go down to your local tire store and get several tires with inside diameters bigger than the piling. The store will probably give them to you. Just drop them over the piling and they will lay on the pile guide and ride up and down with the dock. Just stack up however many is needed to be as high as needed. Just make sure they are loose on the piling. If you want something a little softer, buy some innertubes with correct inside diameter when inflated and drop them over the piling till you have a stack tall enough.

w&w

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
WOW some great ideas

Dennis, great description, you didn't need the "crude drawing". Simple and elegant. Or, as is my mantra, quick and dirty.

Halfhitch. LOVE IT. Not sure how owner would. If you get my drift.

Skunk, I am sure it has merit, can't visualize. Perhaps a "crude drawing" is needed.

But anyway. Today I installed the split vinyl hose over the rub rail. 4 feet of 5/8" I.D. Took out enough (9) of the flat head wood screws holding the S.S. to the rubber (#6 1/2"). Installed the vinyl with #6 5/8" and finish cup washers. Installation approx 1hr 15 min. (Did not drop one screw, washer, screw driver, or drill into the water:p).

Not too bad considering the hack and fraud that did it.
The ends of the vinyl do need "manicuring"

Thanks for all the help, ideas, and support. Gave me confidence.

20200825_163026.jpg

Reactions: SkunkBoat