Rub rail repair

yankeecause

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
How is the rub rail attached? The reason being is when I bought my boat the rub rail on the starboard side is pushed down about a 1/2'', in like a 8'' section,like it got stuck under a dock. Can it be pushed up with a 2x6 off a floor jack? Heat it with a heat gun and hit it with a dead-blow hammer? Any ideas? Thanks, Joe.

georgemjr

Reaction score
Please don't do either of those 2 ideas. The center section of the rub-rail pulls out, starting at the stern (or you could try prying out just teh section where you want to work). There are screws about every 6 inches behind that center section. you probably have some bent screws there (which happens when the rub rail gets puushed down). Remove the scres arouund where it is out of place, maybe a couple before and after as well. You will be able to then, by hand, move the rub-rail where you would like and re-screw. Tap the center back in and your set. I would also recommend using some caulk in the screw holes....

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
georgemjr said:
Please don't do either of those 2 ideas. The center section of the rub-rail pulls out, starting at the stern (or you could try prying out just teh section where you want to work). There are screws about every 6 inches behind that center section. you probably have some bent screws there (which happens when the rub rail gets puushed down). Remove the scres arouund where it is out of place, maybe a couple before and after as well. You will be able to then, by hand, move the rub-rail where you would like and re-screw. Tap the center back in and your set. I would also recommend using some caulk in the screw holes....

Do what George says. Simple fix. Shouldn't take more than 15 minutes.... well 15 mins plus maybe a trip to the hardware store to replace any bent screws too. Definitely re-caulk the screw holes too.

yankeecause

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Bent screws makes sense. I will pull the center welt out of the rail and pull the screws. It's really not a big deal just one of those little things that have been bugging me since I got it. I'm glad I asked first. I love this site!! Joe.