Rub Rails

'84Offshore

Reaction score
Anyone have any hints on improving the look of my rub rails?
It's an '84.........the rails are very faded and show where they were hit with wax/compuond.

I was thinking of something like Armorall that is used on cars.....

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just finished removing mine and tightening the bolts that hold the boat togther, I was told to wet sand the rubrails with 400 -600-- grid by a local grady dealer. He showed me one that was just done and it looked shiny and new. I will be doing that this weekend. Will let you know how it works out. Was told not to use armorall as it will just absob it because it is too dry from over the years exposure to sun and salt.

Bebo

Reaction score
I used acetone followed with 303 protectant.

jim f 232

Reaction score
I also use acetone to clean, followed up with penetrol, came out great. Armerol may dry and crack in direct sunlight.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Armorol is bad, tried it one time, actually left marks on the hulla fter the first rain when the armorol ran off. If it was in good shape, marykate makes a rub rail cleaner, and also have a fender cleaner, both work well, will not bring it to new shine but will look darker in color and be protected and lasts a good amount of time. Once the rub rail is too greesey and ages to bring back to life, as stated above, acetone and penetrol are the best method, although I feel it makes it worse and worse over time.

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I used the acetone and 303 method on mine. Worked very well. Not sure if it really mattered but a tip I saw somewhere said to be sure to wipe the acetone in one direction so as to not just rub the dirt around.

'84Offshore

Reaction score
Acetone/Penetrol

Acetone/Pentrol seemed to work very well...............will post some pics later...........thanks for the tips.................

'84Offshore

Reaction score
Here are the pics

P4180059.jpg

P4180060.jpg

seasick

Reaction score
Ditto on the acetone and 303. All the other 'protectorants' I have tried eventually turn white or end up creating dark stains on the hull.
One hint is to wash the rail with soap first then dry. Really dry... Any moisture renders the acetone ineffective and makes blotchy spots.

crazygrady

Reaction score
After reading the post about using acetone, I tried it over the weekend on my 95 208 Adventure. It made a big difference. When you first start using it, the rails feel all rough and course. After a rew rubs they're nice and smooth and lok a lot better.
Where do you get the Penetrol or 303? West Marine? I didn't see it there.