Rub Rails

nrtbmw

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Am looking to replace the rub rails on my 2007 Seafarer 226. Has anyone done it? How big a job? Supplier and model # of materials and estimated cost?
Thanks

seasick

Reaction score
Are they beat up or just faded? If they are in decent shape and just oxidized and faded they can be cleaned and polished. Search the forum for previous discussions

Reactions: jimever

seasick

Reaction score
Here is a link to Amazon but you can find it in most marine supply stores. There are several 303 products so make sure you get the protectant.

To prep the rail, you should wash them, remove any crud and then let dry thoroughly. Absolutely dry is necessary for the acetone to do its job.
Then wipe with acetone and rags, changing the rag or section of rag frequently as the acetone removes the oxidation. The acetone will dry quickly. You can do additional treatments if needed.
Finally apply a sealer/wax or protectant like the 303.
I have used Mop and Glow floor wax in the past. It works well but only last about 4 to 6 months depending on how sunny it is in your area. I use 303 but not on the rail so I can't comment on how well it holds up.

By the way, be ready for a surprise after you do the acetone scrub. Your rub rail may very well end up a different color and in a good way.

Reactions: jimever

nrtbmw

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Here is a link to Amazon but you can find it in most marine supply stores. There are several 303 products so make sure you get the protectant.

To prep the rail, you should wash them, remove any crud and then let dry thoroughly. Absolutely dry is necessary for the acetone to do its job.
Then wipe with acetone and rags, changing the rag or section of rag frequently as the acetone removes the oxidation. The acetone will dry quickly. You can do additional treatments if needed.
Finally apply a sealer/wax or protectant like the 303.
I have used Mop and Glow floor wax in the past. It works well but only last about 4 to 6 months depending on how sunny it is in your area. I use 303 but not on the rail so I can't comment on how well it holds up.

By the way, be ready for a surprise after you do the acetone scrub. Your rub rail may very well end up a different color and in a good way.
Thx Seasick. Appreciate the info.

Toothpick 10

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Yes, acetone with 303 really brings them back. WEAR NITRILE GLOVES when using acetone in well ventilated area. You will see a lot of blue color on your rag as you are removing the old oxidized rubber surface. Keep rubbing until your rag stays pretty clean.

Then apply the 303 or other rubber protectant.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have used Amerol in the past and it does a pretty good job. Never thought of using 303. Will definitely try that.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Did mine today and it made a huge difference. I need to do again as the rag was completely blue when I was done but it’s actually shiny now and no longer dull