Rule Pump Running

Flfishguy

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Any idea why a front pump would run every time for just a minutes after I turn off the engine? Freedom 235 2021 boat. I don't see any water pumped out and no water in the bilge. I might have left my head discharge open (head was always empty) verses closed if that in some way can sponsor a pump running. Thanks

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The only way the pump would run is if the float switch is activated or partially shorted out. Do you have a manual switch at the helm for that pump? That would be another reason.

But... are you POSITIVE that it's NOT running while the engine is on and maybe you just can't hear it?

Either way, pop the access plate and check it out - look for a fouled float switch and manually flip the float switch.

The other option is that you have an auto-sensing pump and it is malfunctioning. An auto-sensing pump (some, anyways) turn on for a second every 10 or 15 minutes to check for water. But they shouldn't run for more than a second.

Last option, that I can think of, is that there IS water in the bilge and it is sloshing to the front bilge (as it does in all Grady's) and there's enough water to float the switch but not really enough to pump water out and the switch is getting stuck.

Regardless... inspect the float switch and the surrounding area.

Last edited:

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
FYI some of the newer bilge pumps will run to test the water on some kind of a timer. Don’t know the details, but have heard that is the case and most people do not like that feature. ie. “Rule automatic bilge pumps have an internal computer chip to cycle pumps every 2-1/2 minutes. The pump runs for one second and shuts down if no water is detected. If water is detected, automatic pumps sense resistance at the impeller and run until water is removed. No float switches required.” This is not likely your problem, but just a heads up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chutch

Fishtales

Reaction score
Water in a lot of GW boats settle there. When running or with a load of people in her, it may move aft. The key is to see what type of water and see how it is getting there. Anchor rode? leak in freshwater system (should hear pump cycling), windows, rub rail, rain, washing her down all good things to check.